Ah. Many devices give people the option to read eBooks.
Oh, and how they love reading these eBooks!

My question is where they get them.
I can't find no free ones :<

I'd go to the library before I pay for a book.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I recommend libraries.

However, this is a PERFECT opportunity to click on the Wiki above -- see it there? On the main page on this site.

There is a section devoted to ebooks and where to get them.

I am currently enamored with www.wowio.com but the Gutenberg Project has enough good reading to keep anyone for more than a lifetime. I'm currently rereading Jane Austen downloaded from there.

I've moved the ebook info to the 'mulimedia' section on the Wiki front page for clarity. It was a bit hidden, although not further than a ctrl-f 'ebook' away.

I go to the newsgroup binaries alt.binaries.e-books and then convert the e-books into a format that fbreader can work with. Mobipocket also has a big selection of books for purchase and for free. If you have garnet vm installed, you could emulate the mobipocket reader and run it in the Nokia, but the easiest option would be just to use google and do a search for all the free books online and then find the numerous programs out there that will convert it into a readable format.

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
I buy mine from ereader.com. There are python scripts available to convert them to DRM-free HTML (google). AFAIK this constitutes fair use, as I've paid for them and I don't distribute them, but I want to use them on the device of my choosing.

Have a look at Cory Doctorow's site craphound.com. He has a number of books available as free downloads including "Little Brother". I found that the html version displayed best in fbreader.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I recommend taking a look at www.gutenberg.org for tons of eBooks of great works where copyright has expired, so that they are free now.

Baen books has a free library online http://www.baen.com/library/defaultTitles.htm .

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I recommend libraries.

However, this is a PERFECT opportunity to click on the Wiki above -- see it there? On the main page on this site.

There is a section devoted to ebooks and where to get them.

I am currently enamored with www.wowio.com but the Gutenberg Project has enough good reading to keep anyone for more than a lifetime. I'm currently rereading Jane Austen downloaded from there.
I feel a tad bit less intelligent.
Though I know I've been to a wiki before by clicking a link from here.
And some articles from there were from "The old wiki."

Why is there three different wikis?

But thanks anywho
In the event I'm up for a good book, I'll check 'er out.

Edit: Arg. Seems there's no "Thanks" button in off-topic forum. I thank all of you who posted.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Are you looking for ebooks as in: I want to buy some ebooks?
Or as in: I have this sh*tload of paper books that I would like to have as ebooks because I don't want to strain my back carrying them around?

The former is rather easy to solve and has been pointed at above; the latter requires some research and a bit of willpower and restraint. Apparently (I would of course not know) the P2P networks are full of entire libraries of ebooks; one could argue that if one already owns a paper copy of a book, obtaining an electronic version of same would be quite ethical.

The willpower and restraint lies in that one would only keep those torrented ebooks that one indeed already owns.

Naturally: allegedly, apparently and according to rumour and popular lore...

Tags
ebooks