Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
For a simple text editor what's wrong with the builtin NOTES app? That's what I'm using - it will do both formatted and simple text.
It has been a while since I used it, but if I recall, it was, well, too simple. Very slow to load large text files (if at all), and keyboard equivalents were missing, and couldn't edit multiple files.

I actually got nedit working on OS2008, but since it doesn't use GTK, the task manager didn't know it was running. Once you switched away, you couldn't get back

Craig...

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by cvmiller View Post
I just rolled back to OS2007 for leafpad (a nice GUI-based plain text editor).
Perhaps leafpad or a gedit-like app will be ported to OS2008.

Craig...
I agree that leafpad is great.

Could anyone with developer skills have a look to this:
http://www.wardenclyffetower.com/Mae...leafpad.tar.gz

It's suppose to be ready for os2008 but needs packaging..

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
'free' has a version of leafpad under development for OS2008. It is not hildonized yet, but it does work.

See: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...d.php?p=119961

The Following User Says Thank You to dont For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ St. Louis
This blog was focused on text editor. It is not a problem, it is preference.
The problem is PIM.
PIM is not just a storage for contacts and calendar.
1. Need item by item sync with "world" (e.g via bluetooth, though doesn't matter how) including (!) MS products
2. Need to be usefull for other application. Email, Meetings, Phone calls (e.g cell phone via Bluetooth), SMS notifications.
3. Need encription for sensitive information (mostly notes)
Not needed all in one product, but combination should work.

Does anybody has solution to it?

Preferably something that supports SyncML, the standard protocol used by mobile phones. Even standard Nokia phones (i.e. non-Symbian) have decent PIM support: a workable address book (that lets you specify multiple e-mails and phone numbers per contact) and good SyncML implementation.

Supporting SyncML would allow interoperability with OS X and Linux (though Linux's OpenSync implementation is a bit flaky). I'm sure there's a SyncML-compliant synchronization solution for Windows too.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Nothing yet. Graham Cobb is really active these days on GPE, but it's only moving so fast. Each new feature seems to have to go through some kind of lengthy political process before getting implemented.

I see a PIM as being creative ways to view information, not just contain it.

Consider just a datebook: A 3-day view is one example. How about a month view with little symbols or icons so you can see what the event - or pattern of events - are at a glance? Colors and fonts for certain categories, or specific events. A filter on events - perhaps even by icon, or regular expressions for that matter? Task items that are either loosely or rigidly connected with a date. Week numbering. Unique alarm sounds per event (ok this isn't viewing an item, but oh so useful).

I know these are fairly big jobs to implement, but every serious PIM has them. These features can be really liberating to a power user.

Will we ever see all these? Yes, but I'm thinking it's going to take a really long period of time.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
the thing with GPE is that its not only the tablets thats using it. hell, the tablets are not its primary user iirc.

To quote Graham Cobb, a (the?) primary developer of GPE:

"Although the stable update will be made available in the Extras repository, this beta release is available in the "extras-devel" repositories. To see the update you should add a catalogue to the Application Manager as:

Catalogue name: extras-devel
Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel
Distribution: your distribution name: gregale, bora, chinook or diablo
Components: free"

Once this repo is added, just just go to the app manager and loog for the GPE items under "Installable Applications"

I would recommend you at least read the first post by Graham that has a few pointers about this release here:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=22219

The GPE suite is quite good but still has some quirks, The recent update has fixed a few things and the suite wors well together. I would recommend the GPE Summary which sits on your Tablet desktop and provides a summary of that days upcoming calendar items and a few lines from you ToDo list. You can also aunch calendar (which can now be fully closed) by touching a calendar entry on the summary window.

I like the ToDo because it allows single entries to be placed in multiple categories and then you can search and sort by these categories.

Also just recently installed the GPE File manager and it shows 'everything' unlike the built in one which hides almost everything interesting from the user.

Hope these comments are a help. Cheers.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by tso View Post
the thing with GPE is that its not only the tablets thats using it. hell, the tablets are not its primary user iirc.
Yeah I don't see why that should impact the development of any particular platform though. If the system is designed in a good modular way, which I think it must be, then it could be plugged in to any platform.

But those features I mentioned would and could work on any of the platforms.

Thing is, that GPE isn't a PIM. GPE is more equivalent to Maemo.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
heh, true. my bad...