Notices

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by ioncelmare View Post
problem is the radius, about 40 cm from receiver.
someone can confirm this problem on another tv-tuner? do we have another remote for tv-tuners?
probably is the weak signal from the phone combined with older tuner technologies which need more signal strenght.
Yes, some people are having problems with the range they can get using their N900's IR port. Sometimes this is just with specific brands of device (Sony in particular appears to be a problem), sometimes it is with devices in general. I have not yet been able to pin down the exact cause of the range problems, and I don't yet have a solution for them.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Yes, some people are having problems with the range they can get using their N900's IR port. Sometimes this is just with specific brands of device (Sony in particular appears to be a problem), sometimes it is with devices in general. I have not yet been able to pin down the exact cause of the range problems, and I don't yet have a solution for them.
It's a good thing I have 2 N900's. I tested it out on my older one and seems to work a lot better on my sony wega. I can confirm that it can sometimes be the device too I guess

The Following User Says Thank You to darkestz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by darkestz View Post
It's a good thing I have 2 N900's. I tested it out on my older one and seems to work a lot better on my sony wega. I can confirm that it can sometimes be the device too I guess
I have also tested on two devices and I get a good 1 metre or so extra on my newer one.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Romania
actually i wanted to say the tuner could be the problem.
remote on n900 is working well on a samsung lcd 2-3 years old, from about 2.5 - 3 metters, so i could say it is not the phone.
i'm looking at the tv-tuner receiver calbe ( 1-1.5 m), older technology, and probably a part of the signal is lost there.
my question is if someone is able to use remote programs on another pc tv-tuner.

The Following User Says Thank You to ioncelmare For This Useful Post:
Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Ah, this one is using the XMP protocol! I've been working my way up to that (other brands using this protocol have already been requested, such as Dreambox and Thomson). XMP is one heck of a protocol, with a 4-bit pulse encoding, multiple checksums, and a fancy starting-command / continuing-command / ending-command series of frames. A lot more complex than most protocols out there, but very popular with recent hardware... I've started in on it, but I don't know how long it will take to get it all working correctly.
When you say Thomson, would this be the with the problem with sky+ boxes or is it sky+ specific?

Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
How cool would be to control your sky+ box from pierogi and remotely from the newly fixed showtime? I've just discovered Smileys.

Originally Posted by king Ralphred View Post
When you say Thomson, would this be the with the problem with sky+ boxes or is it sky+ specific?
Sky is using the Philips RC6 protocol. At least, everything I'm reading says that they are using it, but there must be something subtly odd about how they are using it. I believe that they may not be using the "toggle" feature of the protocol, but it is also possible that they are using it in a way I don't currently understand... The fact that some commands can sometimes work is odd. (And I have one report from a Tata Sky user that the protocol is working fine for them...)

So I'm still trying to put together more information on exactly what is going on with these receivers. It'll just take some time -- I'm sure other universal remotes are working just fine with Sky, I just need to figure out what they are doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Another update is now making its way up to extras-devel. In this one, I have finally put together some code to support the XMP protocol. This lets me define keysets for Dreambox, Telenet, and one Thomson device. I'm not 100% certain that I have the protocol right yet, so don't be surprised if these don't work perfectly (or at all!).

The Telenet data I was able to come up with was very sketchy, so I don't know if those buttons ended up mapped correctly. I'll have to work on them a little more.

I found more than a half-dozen Dreambox config files, and no two files matched each other. It looks like Dream Multimedia likes to redefine the codes for at least a few of their remote buttons every time they come out with a new receiver. If you do find that one of the keysets works for a particular Dreambox, please make a note of it here or on the Device Compatibility List. Thanks!

Along with Dreambox, Telenet, and Thomson, keysets for a Magnum TV and a Genius speaker system were added.

I'm currently looking in to selecting items in the various list widgets using the keyboard, but it's looking a bit more complicated than I had assumed...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Great, going to update and test Magnum and Telenet, will report back.

btw, the panasonic air conditioning controls don't work at all. all the buttons don't seem to do anything....

Tags
infrared, pasta, remote, remote control