Active Topics

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
step by step instruction here, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...=12863&page=19 thread #186.

It allows one to reboot your tablet without using the tablet power button.

enjoy,

bun

That's a rather roundabout way to execute the reboot command, plus it involves installing an application which is always running. Have you tried just adding a link to the shell script in the application menu?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
You can also edit /etc/systemui/systemui.xml and uncomment reboot item so it in not inside <!-- -->.
After one reboot you have 'reboot' item in power key menu. But true that this can't 'reboot your tablet without using the tablet power buttton'.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
All I want is a .deb file on the desktop that would,

- xterm
- sudo gainroot
- shutdown -r now

My bb3.sh is a very big roundabout way of doing it to get around the f!@#$$king power on problem. I called the script my poorman's programming. Whatever, it works beautifully, I have reboot it more than 20 times just for fun. Now I do not have the "phobia" of NOT able to power on. I am studying the application manu see whether it will allow me to do similar task w less roundabout. Thanks for both Cashel and Fanoush's suggestion. BTW, this is my "Hello world" for the tablet .

I also have an Asus EEE running Xandros Linux. Can I use that to compile the .sh into a .deb file and put it on the desktop? Look at the poll, there is more than 25 users having the power on problem.... In fact, maybe a soft reboot should be built-in into the platform in the future tablet release, uh?

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-01-17 at 07:29.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
You can also edit /etc/systemui/systemui.xml and uncomment reboot item so it in not inside <!-- -->.
After one reboot you have 'reboot' item in power key menu. But true that this can't 'reboot your tablet without using the tablet power buttton'.
Can you walk me through on how to do that?

The Following User Says Thank You to Dr Tran For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dr Tran View Post
Can you walk me through on how to do that?

me 2.

bun

open xterm
sudo gainroot
vi /etc/systemui/systemui.xml
position cursor on beginning of comment <!-- above reboot item, enter dd (press d twice) to delete it
position cursor on end of comment -->, enter dd (press d twice) to delete it
enter ZZ (twice shift + z) to save

It is critical to not to mess this file or your tablet will not boot. Do it slowly. Enter :q! to exit vi without saving if you are not sure what you entered.

You may also just move the comment beginning <!-- below the reboot item to leave other items still disabled but it is harder.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 203 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ St.Petersburg, Russia
Also, if you install rootsh, then you can:
> rootsh shutdown -r now

:-)

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
open xterm
sudo gainroot
vi /etc/systemui/systemui.xml
position cursor on beginning of comment <!-- above reboot item, enter dd (press d twice) to delete it
position cursor on end of comment -->, enter dd (press d twice) to delete it
enter ZZ (twice shift + z) to save

It is critical to not to mess this file or your tablet will not boot. Do it slowly. Enter :q! to exit vi without saving if you are not sure what you entered.

You may also just move the comment beginning <!-- below the reboot item to leave other items still disabled but it is harder.
I got a write error.

Originally Posted by Dr Tran View Post
I got a write error.
perhaps 'sudo gainroot' didn't give you root? install becomeroot package
http://eko.one.pl/maemo/dists/bora/u....1-2_armel.deb

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post: