Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Originally Posted by funkmunk View Post
Installed it from the Devel repos and it seems to work really nice.

I do like the Now Playing screen.Really finger friendly however the other screen might need some more work on the GUI part.

Also i did notice the the CPU consumption spiked whenever Rockbox was open...
You have to know where Rockbox comes from (maybe read up the history on rockbox.org). Essentially, it was created as a replacement firmware for mp3 players, so it was/is OS + mediaplayer.

The two issues you mention come from there:
1) touch interface has only been introduced recently into the codebase and is improving every day. The players where Rockbox used to run on only had hardware keys.

2) Since the OS part of Rockbox is still somewhat present inside, CPU usage isn't optimal. On mp3 players it easily runs on a 80MHz target with plenty of cpu cycles to spare. So I am sure things will improve over time because the code really puts performance on the first place

The Following User Says Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Ok, a couple of problems I see:
1. When saving a playlist,there's no keyboard support - Just the (poor) on-screen keyboard. In addition, the fonts are too small.
2. What's the backspace button mapped to? I can't figure it out.

Also, a couple of questions:
1. Is there any way to set the root directory for file-scanning? If not, can that feature be added?
2. I'm looking at customizing a wps - Would it be possible to add a close-button to it? What extra code would be needed to be added to this port to make it possible?
3. Would it be possible to simply compile this for standard Desktop Linux(i.e. Debian)? What would need to be changed?

Thanks.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

P1: to be expected, will need more work also at the base (rockbox itself)
P2: no idea

Q1: I'm sure it is possible, as the simulator versions of target builds can do that. But it would take some flexibility out of the system. But a better root bout be OK
Q2: That would be shutdown or powerdown, as that's what Rockbox normally does on an mp3 player
Q3: there are sim builds of various targets, but I don't know if you can make a sim build of RaaA

Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
Also, a couple of questions:
1. Is there any way to set the root directory for file-scanning? If not, can that feature be added?
I thought maybe that could be a config option, like "database_scan_start_directory". Haven't looked into it yet.

2. I'm looking at customizing a wps - Would it be possible to add a close-button to it? What extra code would be needed to be added to this port to make it possible?
Shutdown is one area in the code that needs fixing, I'm not sure if it will work out of the box. That's also the reason for most of the "known issues" in the wiki.

3. Would it be possible to simply compile this for standard Desktop Linux(i.e. Debian)? What would need to be changed
Should be possible. Get the source and select "application" with SDL as target. N900 screen size is 800x480.

Thomas

The Following User Says Thank You to thomasjfox For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Hey, this is getting really interesting !
Is it possible to use a BT device only as a remote (ie for its buttons), and still use the output jack for a wired headphone ?...
Petur, could you try this one?

Windows 7 has two bluetooth connect buttons in the GUI, one for the play/pause/ff/rew "buttons" and one for the headphone output.

Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
I don't know if its only me but rockbox can't browse to my emmc. When I browse to /home/user/MyDocs only .documents, .images, .sounds, .videos and DCIM are shown. I tried a bit of searching in this forum but doesn't seems like anyone faced the problem. And my emmc is partitioned into 20Gb MyDocs and 3+5Gbs for nitdroids.

Originally Posted by Joseph9560 View Post
I don't know if its only me but rockbox can't browse to my emmc. When I browse to /home/user/MyDocs only .documents, .images, .sounds, .videos and DCIM are shown. I tried a bit of searching in this forum but doesn't seems like anyone faced the problem. And my emmc is partitioned into 20Gb MyDocs and 3+5Gbs for nitdroids.
Hmm, browsing to /home/user/MyDocs shows all my folders in there. Maybe a permission problem?

Rockbox uses normal C function like opendir() or open() for file I/O, nothing magic in there as far as I know.

I am really happy for this port. The only thing i miss is the bookmarking. I listen to a lot of podcasts, and it would be great if rockbox remembered where it was so the resume play fuction worked like rockbox on my rockboxed sanza fuze player.
Would be one less device to carry around.

Would it be hard to get this to work?
Any ideas and tips on how to do it?
Or is there a work in progress on this?

Is there anything needed except installing the dev. environment and the rockbox source from the repo mentioned above?

Regards,
BitWit

Originally Posted by bitwit View Post
I am really happy for this port. The only thing i miss is the bookmarking. I listen to a lot of podcasts, and it would be great if rockbox remembered where it was so the resume play fuction worked like rockbox on my rockboxed sanza fuze player.
Would be one less device to carry around.

Would it be hard to get this to work?
Any ideas and tips on how to do it?
Or is there a work in progress on this?
I'm currently working on it:
http://repo.or.cz/w/maemo-rb.git/com...15880711e2a785

It's still not working as expected, I have to dig further.

Originally Posted by bitwit View Post
Is there anything needed except installing the dev. environment and the rockbox source from the repo mentioned above?
Should be fine. You'll need scratchbox and the build dependencies listed in the "debian/control" file. I build from that git tree, too.

btw: Since yesterday we have embedded album art support! Will be in the next release.

Cheers,
Thomas

For those who are not following Rockbox closely (via rockbox.org): Thomas now has commit access to the Rockbox server

Tags
audiophile, rockbox