Notices

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Hi.

It seems that the last messages in theads like http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=26457 are quite old (almost 3 years old) and, as things have progressed, the answers may now be different.

In particular, I would like to know what would the recommended settings for videos for an N900 updated with PR1.3 (not with the CSSU yet, but with kernel-power v47 and able to overclock up to 1100MHz) would be a good compromise for watching lectures (say, like the current courses from stanford or iTunes U) and battery life.

I mention lectures because I am willing to reencode the videos and I can drop the framerate for those to about 20fps or even 18fps, as long as the audio is OK (I'm not a native English speaker and the quality of audio interferes with my understanding).

As the N900 has a DSP that can decode some stuff, what format would be better suited for it? MPEG-4 ASP, H.264, Theora, or VP8 would give me better battery/be easier to decode?

Also, what is the DSP more specialized in decoding: MP3 or AAC or Vorbis?

And what about the container? MPEG 4? Matroska? Anything else?

Any hints about resolution/bitrates?

I can use, say, Handbrake or mencoder on my Debian machines. That's not exactly a problem.

I see that not all containers are well implemented from Felipe Contreras blog (regarding gst-av), and I have some extra codecs installed from the repositories.

So, given this situation, what are your experiences? I am sure that many others may benefit from a compilation of such information.

Ideally, I would like to create 2 or 3 presets for Handbrake (and attach them to the post) so that they can serve as starting points for other people.

Well, that's it.

Thanks for any feedback and experiences.

I believe you should target h264 baseline profile, 800x480 max resolution, keep it under 4000kbps on the video side, AAC audio stereo, mp4 container.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Hi, @jflatt.

Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
I believe you should target h264 baseline profile, 800x480 max resolution, keep it under 4000kbps on the video side, AAC audio stereo, mp4 container.
First of all, thank you very much for your reply, and it is indeed appreciated.

But I have one question: given equal bitrates, and resolutions, what would be easier for the DSP to decode? An MPEG-4 ASP file or a H.264 baseline profile?

I am focused on maximizing the battery while I play the videos, as I may not have an easy power source during some times (and, of course, I would be being gentle on the heat of the device etc.).

I am willing to use a binary blob for decoding stuff, from what I saw mentioned in the kernel-power thread, if that reduces power consumption.

Guidance regarding what to choose is appreciated.

I believe encoders have a fast decode option, this results in a lower quaity picture as a result, should in theory consume less power in the process.
Also the N900 can play video for a long time if you can plug it into an external screen, through the TV out, and then lock the phone; as most of the power goes into illuminating the screen, not decoding.

The Following User Says Thank You to JonWW For This Useful Post:
I don't believe it does MPEG4 hardware decoding. Try out a short clip both ways, watch the processes in 'top'.

The Following User Says Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post: