Active Topics

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
What the hell is a RAmos?
There a company that makes Android PMPS/Tablets from China.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
Just to continue the Apple stealing / copying trend:

Apple pilfers rips off student's rejected iPhone app
iOS 5 lifts idea, name, even logo

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06..._rejected_app/

So, one of the main updates to iOS was stolen from a student.

Apple reaching new lows everyday
Actually while they may have stolen the icon the actual functionality was stolen from the Zune which had Wifi sync implemented in the exact same way as Apple does now just the Zune did it 6 years ago.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 186 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin TX
Any ideas how I can migrate my contacts to the sensation from the n900? Trying to import from SD card doesn't seem to harvest all the numbers. Just the primary.

The Following User Says Thank You to Strive_Masiwa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I've bought me a Galaxy Tab 7" this morn. I wasn't in a safe position thinking to hack my wife's one, because she would have crashed both femurs of mine in the case I bricked it. When I upgraded her firmware (really, her Tab's firmware, not really *her* firmware the time the device stayed still with the Samsung logo on, without doing anything apparently, I was quite scared, really was I! And then I discovered it wasn't Gingerbread either, but just another Froyo iteration!
Well now I have one for me to play with and eventually dismantle if I like to.

When home, 1st thing is z4root, 2nd is Titanium backup, right?

Danramos you have any other advice? Capt'n?
My own preference?
1) z4root (definitely!)
2) Titanium Backup (immediately back everything up!)
3) ROM Manager (and install Clockwork Mod)
4) Reboot into Clockwork Mod, go to the backups menu and create an image backup of the system (once you've done that and copied your SD card's "clockworkmod" directory onto your PC for safe-keeping, you're as good as inoculated from pretty much anything else that can go wrong)
5) Install AdFree (enjoy!)
6) Install File Expert (delicious file manager!)
7) Use Titanium Backup to either uninstall apps or freeze system components (WARNING: You really shouldn't uninstall system apps, just put them into FREEZE status to prevent them from running--this way, if you ever want to apply an official update/patch from the carrier or manufacturer, the files are still there to be patched.. they just won't run.. sometimes removing system files will cause upgrades/patches to fail).
8) I like using Autostarts to disable all kind of crappy stuff that insists on autorunning at boot time or whenever you dock or undock or plug the power in or disconnected from power, etc. Autostarts will let you control what can run when events happen. Be careful with this tool, though.. there's lots of reasons that things need to get called during events--sometimes they need to be called to gracefully handle some events like when an SD card has been inserted or removed, for example.

I think you get the picture. From here on out, you're pretty much free to bend, fold, mutilate and otherwise have lots of fun with the tablet you now truly OWN for yourself.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
For you? I would recommend installing Ubuntu/Debian in Android with VNC for some legacy app support as well as a little CLI lovin'. It would be nice to have a linux desktop (even if it's a bit slow) on a device like this.

I would also check out what lardman is doing with getting MeeGo to run on the system!
As a new person, just getting into rooting/flashing, I would hold off flashing ROM's until later, after getting the hang of hacking around at what you've already got installed.. but down the road, absolutely!

Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Actually while they may have stolen the icon the actual functionality was stolen from the Zune which had Wifi sync implemented in the exact same way as Apple does now just the Zune did it 6 years ago.
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
There a company that makes Android PMPS/Tablets from China.
Why are they using my family name?? I'LL SUE! I'm American! We do that!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Strive_Masiwa View Post
Any ideas how I can migrate my contacts to the sensation from the n900? Trying to import from SD card doesn't seem to harvest all the numbers. Just the primary.
Once you get your contacts out of the N900 you can just go to http://contacts.google.com and look on the top-right side of the web page for the "Import' link. From there, you can upload your CSV or vCard file with all your contacts. As the site says, "We support importing CSV files from Outlook, Outlook Express, Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail, Eudora and some other apps. We also support importing vCard from apps like Apple Address Book."

The import side (Google contacts) is easy, it's the export side (N900 contacts) that is difficult and it's beyond my experience to help you there. You might want to seek out support in an Nokia N900 thread because I don't have an N900 (just the N800) and I know there's some difficulties with contact exports in the N900.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by Strive_Masiwa View Post
I don't have my N900 in front of me, but it was a fairly straight forward to export the contacts on the N900 to vcard, then from their import via the google website as dan suggested.

You may have to go through and tweak a little, but I think you'd have that with any method.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
I don't have my N900 in front of me, but it was a fairly straight forward to export the contacts on the N900 to vcard, then from their import via the google website as dan suggested.

You may have to go through and tweak a little, but I think you'd have that with any method.
As I understand it, and I could be wrong, I think the problem comes when people try to export ALL of their contacts from the N900. The complaints I read said that you have to export one-by-one into separate vcards instead of being able to just export ALL of your contacts into a vcard, like you can on Palm devices and most other systems. If that's true, it seems like the team that coded the contact management portion of the N900 simply forgot that use case. Let us know if you know of a way to export ALL contacts like that (or better still, if there's a way to pick and choose from a list of contacts to export like you can in Google Contacts).

Thanks, btw!

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Incredible details revealed about the new Apple HQ!

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ | MAD | MEX | MOW |
hi guys...

i am thinking of buying an ASUS EeePad TF101 Transformer as i'm attracted to the whole docking+extra-battery idea, however, i would like to know your opinions on this gadget, especially compared to other android based tablets out there...

The Following User Says Thank You to juanenrique For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by juanenrique View Post
hi guys...

i am thinking of buying an ASUS EeePad TF101 Transformer as i'm attracted to the whole docking+extra-battery idea, however, i would like to know your opinions on this gadget, especially compared to other android based tablets out there...
Hands down the best value for money right now.

Posting from mine right now

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy