Active Topics

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Yes, there would have been a bigger stir if after he finished the demonstration he casually folded it up and put it in his pocket.

It's an attempt to replace the M1330 that's selling really, really well for Dell, as far as I can tell.

The multi-touch features are also on the Macbook and Macbook Pro, in some senses. Not sure if the hardware's quite as good.

Lack of a real graphics card, lack of touchSCREEN, lack of me wanting to purchase one.

Well - I'm impressed with it. The 0.76" thickness means you can zip it up into an A4 document folder and have it with you at meetings, classrooms, etc. Plus no compromise on screen real estate. Agree that it would've been much better in tablet pc form.

But OUCH at the price for a fairly standard spec laptop...
Intel Core 2 Duo processor
2GB memory
80GB 4200-rpm PATA hard drive1
Built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi2 and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
$1,799.00

Or with a 64GB solid-state hard drive instead - $3,098.00

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
It's a cool technological achievement, but I have to admit that I'm not really that much interested about thinness. Even my current Thinkpad laptop for me is clearly "thin enough", with something like 1.5 inches. I wouldn't want to pay much more to get thinner than that. But, to each his own.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Yeah, it's the same footprint as a MacBook (non-pro), just thinner. Bleh.

This is the year of MIDs. Where's Apple's MID (or even an UMPC, or even a tablet/laptop like gateway's swivel-screen tablet/laptop)? This seems to me like re-arranging chairs on the deck. Another conventional laptop, that's just thinner than everyone elses? who cares?

Though, the application add-ons to the iPod Touch at least make that device seem like it might be a LITTLE bit more useful as a half-assed MID. But it's still not going to impress me until it has an ssh client and can use a bluetooth keyboard (and a slide-out hardware keyboard would be nice, since I hate the portrait-only virtual keyboard they give you). Oh, yeah, and an open SDK. (and, what's up with charging $20 for apps that should have been on the device since day one!? I am SO glad I went with the NIT family instead)

I'm pretty much underwhelmed by this year's announcements. And very underwhelmed by the MacBook Air.

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Where's Apple's MID (or even an UMPC, or even a tablet/laptop like gateway's swivel-screen tablet/laptop)?
Well, you can still get a Newton 2100 off eBay

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Ald View Post
Well, you can still get a Newton 2100 off eBay
Or I can just stick with my n810 :-)

Uncle Steve doesn't like the idea of the tablet pc. He already has a "tablet" anyway, it's called the iPhone. Hey Karl, I think the spittoon is getting full. The air is a cool idea, would be neat to see some of the new stuff show on the other laptops, the trackpad is pretty sweet. The remote drive thing is too. Would be cool to have that on my macbook. Could replace the optical drive with another drive. About the only time I use cd's is when I'm making a disk image of them and throwing them up on the server. The one real problem I have with it is the lack of ports. I'm really not a big fan of usb2, I prefer firewire. It needs a real ethernet port as well.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

i have a sharp mm20 that is under 2lbs, and about 1/2 inch thick (at thin point) tho is doesnt have widescreen. but i love it, i even recently upgraded the hdd to a ssd. i dual-boot xp/linux with it. you should google it. they are fun, but aging.
-ezra hilyer

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
The thinnest notebook in history... So wha? *_*