Active Topics

Thanks sjgadsby, you said it much better than I could have.

There are also other playlist types than .asx, Wikipedia has
more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playlis...Playlist_Files.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ism For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Ism View Post
There are also other playlist types than .asx, Wikipedia has
more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playlis...Playlist_Files.
That's a good list. Thanks for posting it.

As an addition to that list, .ram files are Real's metafiles for RealAudio and RealVideo. Media Player on the tablets seems to handle them well, though I haven't gone out of my way to do extensive testing.

sjgadsby, your explanation is a good start, but it doesn't explain my problem (originally posted in Troubleshooting). I did a search first, but obviously did not use the correct words!

--- Have a new N800 w/ OS2008. I would like to be able to listen to a particular station (WNTP) which is streamed by www.streamaudio.com. Most of their stations will not play in Media Player. They either get stuck on "connecting" or "buffering", or the message window "Connection to media stream lost" pops up immediately upon launch. The server uses Windows Media Player and there are a few stations which do play. But most curious to me, is that this station (WNTP) actually did play for 2 or 3 days last week, I was able to store a bookmark in MP, and could play the station directly from there. Now all I get is "Connection .... lost"!---

This is one of the stations mentioned in this thread, and I have tried the links that are posted here, with the same "Connection ... lost" result. When I click on "cancel" the following appears in the MP window: [reflector:26414?auth=caEavdidAd.......] and then runs off the screen. According to http://www.streamaudio.com/help/help.htm it says I need a Flash player and cookies and they have "no plans for Linux". Am I doomed? This was one big reason why I got the tablet!

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by stanheer View Post
I would like to be able to listen to a particular station (WNTP) which is streamed by www.streamaudio.com. Most of their stations will not play in Media Player.
I'll try to take a look at this tomorrow. My tablet is behaving...oddly right now.

Thanks for the great thread and links. I'm trying to get KFI in Los Angeles and WSPD in Toledo. Both are owned by Clean Channel. They use a web player pop up that plays an ad first and then starts the stream. How do I find the audio stream file in the pop up window? I looked at the code of the page and couldn't find an mms or asp file anywhere.

Originally Posted by belder View Post
Thanks for the great thread and links. I'm trying to get KFI in Los Angeles and WSPD in Toledo. Both are owned by Clean Channel. They use a web player pop up that plays an ad first and then starts the stream. How do I find the audio stream file in the pop up window? I looked at the code of the page and couldn't find an mms or asp file anywhere.
This is also my favorrite staation KFI in Los Angeles, because Clear Channel uses some type of embedded player I have not been able to play this station. I beleive someone some how needs to extract the proper file or url to copy to the media player

If you take this:

http://www.kfi640.com/cc-common/univ...ayer/services/
genasx.php?ua=5de421c864bb482100a3bc4060723c3c&id= 177

and open it in Windows Media Player it will play. Media Player on the N800 will not.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
some time ago I hacked up a script which you could feed the ASX url to and it would guess the MMS string, I'll see if I can dig it out.

Update - 24 hours later
Now my station WNTP is playing! And so are more of the others from the streamaudio server. I've only checked a few, but my guess is about 50/50. Can I expect this to last?

More info, FWIW - I have noticed that when launched via the web site, the player displays a black window (with no tabs at the top) but when playing from an Internet Radio Bookmark it will display its nice(?) user interface complete with the name of the radio station it got from somewhere. Is this as designed?
Also, I have learned how to retrieve the entire string that is in the player window after pressing stop (or cancel). For this station, tonight, this is what i get:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,mmsh://2.uni1.salem.streamaudio.com/wntp_am?sat=27bff7d2ef78b4aafbaaedc4e72366c8&ts=12 03223104853&s=1561&y=2008&m=2&d=16&hh=20&mm=38&ss= 15
mmsh://2.uni1.salem.streamaudio.com/wntp_am?sat=27bff7d2ef78b4aafbaaedc4e72366c8&ts=12 03223104853&s=1561&y=2008&m=2&d=16&hh=20&mm=38&ss= 15

Don't know if this sheds any light on this problem, but one thing is for sure - I'm learning a lot about how to use my tablet by doing all this investigation!

download the application "streamtuner", it has more links
than the nokia player, the links it has actually work, and it indicates what song is currently playing... it is really great.

i am just hoping for a internet video/tv equivalent to this product. the nokia video center is good, but you need to
find your own video links, since its preset links are quite limited.