Just wondering what the options will be to install an application in Meego.

Reading a news this morning about a possible upcoming Asus app store for Meego, I got a bad feeling about tens of separated application stores, one for each hardware vendor (each wanting part of the revenues on the sold apps).. Which would probably mean also that developers of commercial apps would have to pay a tax to enter every kind of store.
Am I plain wrong? I hope so.

In the case of multiple app stores, will it be possible to install software from a store of a different vendor from yours if supporting the same cpu architecture/similar hw?

Also, what about the repositories system? Will it be parallel to the app store(s)?

Will there be any way to have applications bundles? I'd like to have the flexibility if offers, even if it's not a optimised system; not to use as the standard way to have applications, but I'd like it to be possible. I find it a lack for linux in general (influenced probably by the fact I lived for a long time in a place in Italy where internet connections were slow or missing, and by owning a mac).

Will it be possible to install rpm packages easily from te gui? Would that resolve missing dependencies in some way (I'm not a linux expert )?

Sorry for the many questions, but maybe I'm not the only one with these doubts..

Good question

Sometimes I wish I could summon qgil whenever I needed him

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Multiple shopfronts are ok because they foster competition in marketing the goods and can potentially expand the reach, as long as the backend is somehow unified so updates and fixes can be channeled easily and simply (for both the vendor and the user) in timely fashion.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

If that's the case I already foresee the userbase constantly tracking down developers to support/update their specific app store... And the probable unability from developers to keep track of them all.
Hmm at the end it won't be much different from now.. biggest vendors will have more support as it is now.

Last edited by thecursedfly; 2010-06-01 at 13:39.

If the same version of the software is pushed to all app stores then the problems should be experienced on all devices. The developers could also have a unified bug tracker and updates could be pushed at the same time since it is the same software

...not sure if the above makes sense

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
This discussion about the MeeGo project and MeeGo partners infrastructure would be very interesting at http://forum.meego.com

There you have higher chances to find the people actually working on this.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Doesn't seem to be a popular thread btw...

The Following User Says Thank You to thecursedfly For This Useful Post: