Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Motorola's Droid will also take benefit of Nokia's open source contributions as it was Nokia who located and fixed the OMAP3 reset bug on recent Linux kernels (some N900 before PR 1.1 and some Droids share the habit of resetting itself out of the blue).

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Motorola's Droid will also take benefit of Nokia's open source contributions as it was Nokia who located and fixed the OMAP3 reset bug on recent Linux kernels (some N900 before PR 1.1 and some Droids share the habit of resetting itself out of the blue).
I didn't know this... Were those the infamous reboots some people had?

I mean, why I would find such a story so thrilling to read is:
a) It has info about the reason for the bug... and it says "it's not product specific, both the N900 and the Droid suffered from it". (No need to go into technical details about the bug itself, just say it was in the kernel and it affected those using the kernel on OMAP3 devices)
b) Nokia is the hero, of course.
c) Most important, it's an example of how free software development can work. Nokia fixes the bug, but its direct competitor benefits from the work done. This is like Microsoft fixing a bug in OS X for free.

Now imagine this story, presented in a way so that non-kernel-developers can easily read it, with the picture of a happy Droid user wearing a "I love Nokia" T-shirt... I'm dying to be able to link to that.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Have no doubt about the big contribution done by the Maemo team to the OMAP3 kernel, form which any Linux OMAP3 device benefits (and that's fine, but hopefully next time it's another house the one having to go first through the bugfixing).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
A potential Maemo advertising blurb if I ever saw one.

I'm gonna have to work that into one of my flyers...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
Reminds me of http://www.epicure.demon.co.uk/whattheromans.html

"All right... all right... but apart from UBIFS and the QT cross platform framework and contributions to KOffice and KDE and OSF sponsorship and bluez and kernel contributions and opening Symbian and creating Telepathy and contributing to the X server and work on oFono ... what have the Romans Nokia done for us? "

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to kwotski For This Useful Post:
The Matchbox window manager.

Screenshots page:
Matchbox window manager is featured as part of the Maemo platform as used on the Nokia 770 and N800. Nokia funded numerous open source generic inprovements to Matchbox as to better fit Maemo's user interface requirements.

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
I might be mistaken...

But I wish Nokia would make more fuzz about their own contributions and efforts...

We see IBM and Google doing this all the time. Either creating cute (but informative)videos in youtube like google or by a multitude of blog posts, demos, etc... The point is to show it better and to a broader audience.

I loved to see Qt4.6 demoed in some youtube video. But we need more

Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
I might be mistaken...

But I wish Nokia would make more fuzz about their own contributions and efforts...
I kind of wish Nokia would make more fuzz about... anything at all.

I'm in the US though.. it's a known problem that we aren't targeted. I just NEVER heard anything about, by, for, from, Nokia around here.

Plus, Nokia doesn't really tell it's own community much either, from what I can tell.

Nokia is just there, doing what it does. Extremely useful troll in a dungeon that feels perfectly content with being "anti-social".
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I could just see this ad:

"Nokia's Maemo team sees contributing to open source as a win-win proposition. That's why we are proud of solving the OMAP3 reset bug close to the source. Thanks to our contribution, even competing Linux-driven products like the Motorola Droid can run just a little better.

If you want to be close to the source of innovation and improvement, stick close to Maemo."

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
OK OP.
(Can somebody please explain to me why op means thread starter, what does op stand for?)

Remember when I started a thread titled something like, "Adobe flash 10 is screwing over our internet experience"
and you were the first poster saying my thread title was misleading.

Touche