Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Hi,

soon my SheevaPlug arrives. Because it won't do much I was thinking of using it as test environment by exporting /scratchbox/targets/FREMANTLE_ARMEL via NFS. Then, it is then not necessary to use QEMU while using cheap hardware to get an ARM host to test with.

Has anyone tried this before?

As far as I understood there are no ARM7 binaries although $ sb-conf list -c
cs2007q3-glibc2.5-arm7
cs2007q3-glibc2.5-i486
host-gcc

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Ingenious! I didn't even think about using a shevaplug.

I think you can pull most items from the "fremantle" repository, nokia-binaries and the extras repository to get a working armel device.

And you can look through those messages that are attempting to get it working on the beagleboard, they probably would point to any other location for files you might have to look.

I'd love to know how it works out.

Nathan.

Hm, would love to get a Sheevaplug.. I was just about to order one but shipping costs were more than the price of the plug, so I backed out. Argh, I wish these companies would start to realise that UPS shouldn't be the only option for shipping small items. USPS always worked for me and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Hm, would love to get a Sheevaplug.. I was just about to order one but shipping costs were more than the price of the plug, so I backed out. Argh, I wish these companies would start to realise that UPS shouldn't be the only option for shipping small items. USPS always worked for me and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
where are you from? I ordered mine from eBay for 95 GBP (+ 11 GBP S&H). This is about 120 EUR. I asked for EU plug. Haven't received item yet, I expect saturday or tuesday (no delivery on sunday/monday).

Seem to be 3 distributors

New IT UK is what I used.

GlobalScape to ZIP 95018 uses FedEx, price:

Shipping: (FedEx Ground Service) $11.13 (USD)
Tax: $0.00 (USD)
Total: $110.13 (USD)

Ionics was 30 USD to anywhere in USA.

YMMV.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
I had tried to order through GlobalScape to Europe, and the cheapest shipping was $104 IIRC. Ionics is cheaper. I checked New IT but I can only see UK plug announced, no EU plug? I hadn't thought of searching through EBay, so I did now - found New IT again, but still UK plug only. I'll search a bit more.
Thanks for the tips.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I had tried to order through GlobalScape to Europe, and the cheapest shipping was $104 IIRC. Ionics is cheaper. I checked New IT but I can only see UK plug announced, no EU plug? I hadn't thought of searching through EBay, so I did now - found New IT again, but still UK plug only. I'll search a bit more.
Thanks for the tips.
Ordered wednesday, got it today (saturday). Was well packaged. GlobalScape will take 2-3 weeks to deliver. I ordered UBIFS version but it doesn't matter you can flash it anyway. Comes with Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04. I asked in my order (eBay comments) for EU plug, and received correct (this was my main concern/fear, that it'd not be noticed). Power plug is modular (very much like Airport Express) hence can be swapped easily. Thus far I can highly recommend New IT UK.

Upgrading to Karmic I can't recommend though. Oh well. I think I'll want Debian anyway, to be compatible with Scratchbox.

When I exported /scratchbox over NFS and tried to chroot to /scratchbox/users/moi/targets/FREMANTLE_ARMEL I got the error Illegal instruction.

Tags
arm, scratchbox