Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
I will volunteer myself as a moderator for Multimedia, if it is felt one/another is needed there.

A quick edit and retraction, as I don't seem to fit some of the criteria. Well, if one is needed I am here.

Thor

Last edited by thorbo; 2009-12-10 at 17:47. Reason: Don't meet the criteria...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thorbo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Hi everyone,

I would like to volunteer to be a category moderator, considering that I've been putting in quite a lot of thread flags to request for moderators to move them around as needed -- and I realise this is not the intended use of the "Flag This" feature.

Quick question, up to what point is it possible to filter out the rights of a moderator?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CrashandDie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm still open to moderating the Community subforum, if help is needed.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I agree that we need more mods - even if only on a temporary basis. If Quim is willing to do that, I'm sure it would be a huge help.

Right now we have an influx of people many of whom are just jumping in with their questions where-ever they land from google, and it's a bit messy. There's also a bit of aggressive fan-boyism and anti-fan-boyism which could use some gentle pushing.

I love how moderation is done round here, though. Please don't change it. I spent 8 years as mod and intermittent admin (they rotated the post) at a place which used the 'warning/infraction/ban' system vBulletin offers. As a result they had a rulebook longer than the EU constitution and a dedicated forum for arguing board lawsuits (though we did manage to neuter that by making people take any dispute up with the individual mod before they went to the bopocorn gallery.) By comparison the simple 'nuke it if it doesn't belong but otherwise hands off' approach is really refreshing. Mods move theads, merge threads, lift posts out if a thread develops two discussions... all silently and smoothly.

Huge, huge thanks to the mods who are keeping this place so good and easy to navigate in these busy times!
I second the bottom part - and agree with the rest
I spent a few years running a gaming website/forum etc, and i'm thankful that at least this site keeps quite a high level of maturity (Better than most anyway) - tis may have been down to Maemo being a niche market and having lots of developers / techies, so to speak.

Now it more open, with a lot more end users like me.... I think it is inevitable to see a change, and as long as there is a sensible clear divide between where to ask questions(Correct forums), where to find answers(wiki, search, tutorials etc) and who can help, this should help. Alas, the internet forums will never rid themselves of the odd annoying person. Also it will never rid itself of mis-interpretation or communication issues - people are more willing to respond arrogantly in some cases - hard thing to sort out.

There's also a bit of aggressive fan-boyism and anti-fan-boyism which could use some gentle pushing.
- Now that's a hard one to get rid off

I also agree, more mods doing the silent shuffling and moving would be helpful. Also, the Maemo Greeters are a huuge help - would be brilliant if that could continue to grow

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
Also, the Maemo Greeters are a huuge help - would be brilliant if that could continue to grow
You just made my day!

And feel free to become one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
You just made my day!

And feel free to become one.

Hehe as soon as i outgrow the need to ask stupid questions like i did yesterday (why can't i get extras-testing working? - i mis-spelt fremantle....) Then i think i might

But for now, from a reasonably new users perspective they provide a sensible resolution and quick answer to most questions and issues

Just a minor rant about moderation...

As expected, we have had a huge influx of noisy members recently. That is not meant to broadly slam anyone and in fact I'm gonna get real specific.

Out of that number we have a handful who *appear* to have an agenda here that even transcends constructive criticism. Personally I don't care if they're paid shills, diehard Nokia haters or just sociopathic forum joyriders but I have a big problem with letting a tiny, screaming, effusive minority damage the otherwise beautiful tenor of this forum.

To that end, I wish for a slight change to moderation, ie, that a pattern of bad behavior means as much as if not more than certain obvious violations.

I really believe that handling these few toxic human singularities will go a long way toward minimizing noise and restoring decorum to the forum. I'm disappointed they have been allowed to persist with no obvious repercussions despite flagrant poisoning of the place...

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-12-15 at 22:47.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Texrat,

**** yeah! Kill the N900 haters and castrate the ****ers!

(I'm serious, actually. Hate the phone? Fine: sell it and move on. But, please, don't be a **** and make a thread whining about it. I couldn't give a ****, and most of us on this site do not either (except for those stuck with an N8x0 device).

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-12-15 at 22:36.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Texrat,

**** yeah! Kill the N900 haters and castrate the ****ers!
Um... more English classes for my young friend! Etiquette 101 too.

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Interesting to see that the c-word isn't banned.

Tags