I just got my N770. From what I read on the internet, if it's left idle or if the slide cover is on, the device would enter the suspend/deep sleep mode, and pressing any button or touch screen would wake it up instantly, am I correct?

I cannot wake it up from that state, no matter pressing any key or touch the screen. Press and hold the power button cannot switch it on, unless I plug it in. The problem exists even when the battery is full. I have tried flashing the OS a few times, it doesn't solve the problem. Is my unit defective?

Have you tried removing the battery for a couple of minutes?

Thanks. Yes, removing battery also resets it and I can power it on afterwards. The "problem" won't go away even after the battery trick, so the next time it sits idling and screen goes off, I have to remove battery/plug in to restart it.

I still can return or exchange it with Expansys for free if it is defective. I want to make sure this is a defective unit. The shipping from Canada isn't cheap.

Last edited by littlestone; 2007-07-23 at 03:32.

my unit does this every once in awhile. not very often though

Originally Posted by dswan View Post
my unit does this every once in awhile. not very often though
My does this too, be rather infrequently, maybe once out of 25 times of using it. If yours is doing it every time or rater frequently then it sounds like a defective unit.

The Following User Says Thank You to bac522 For This Useful Post:
Thanks everyone. Will exchange for another one. Sigh... no ITB for a couple of weeks. Besides that problem I love everything it can do just after three days' usage.

Hello,

Same problem here, but i can start it by pressing the power button for a while and it boot again. That's not a big deal but the boot time is long and i like it to start immeditely.

Any idea ? I love it and dont want to sent it back after only 4 day of use

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Clearwater, Florida
I've had my 770 for less than a week (and love it). Mine will wake instantly but if I turn it off I can only get it to boot if I plug it in, even with a full charge. So I've been leaving it on (letting it sleep) and plugging it in during lunchtime and overnight.

When I had the unit, sometimes pressed and held the power button for a couple of times did reset the unit and I could boot it up, but not every time. The problem was annoying, since I planned to use it as my ebook device. When the auto-sleep-then-drunk problem kicks in because I have to attend something else, I have to find a way to restart the unit, then find where I just stopped.

Now the unit is on it's way back to eXpansys.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Surrey, UK
From various sources on the web, this seems to be an all-too-common problem with the 770 and makes me think it's why the 800 doesn't have a similar sleep mode. My first 770 is now being returned for replacement.

I did find that if it's taken from the 'holster' and power button held down for >10 seconds then the next attempt to power it on works.

My own unit powered off rather than sleeping (at least there was no way to wake it), rebooted occasionally and very seldom would switch itself on from off. Different things happened when externally powered. Shame as it's generally a really cool bit of kit.