Originally Posted by Bec View Post
It's about the platform that gets such an engine first. I'm patiently waiting because iPhone is obvious an excellent gaming device because of the "unified" hardware.
Designing such an engine for anything else (eg android) is questionable but showing a closed building isn't very promising either.
I think it's possible that you would see this on a platform with required minimum. Similar to how Gingerbread (Android 3.0) seems to have minimum required specs to use it.That and things like the PSP Phone running Android are going be pushing gaming.

And don't forget you also have Microsoft working on some kind of game playing XBOX LIVE Arcade for their Windows Phone 7 (again by specifying a minimum hardware spec).

But anyway it makes sense to target the iPhone first. Standard hardware with a sizable userbase.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
It's on an iPhone first, because John loves iPhones. As for the visuals, they are pretty impressive and mind-blowing for a mobile game. To say it looks like Quake2 or Quake3 is an insult or you have bad eyes. Just the lighting itself is far more advanced than the Q3E could ever do. First the Unreal 3 Engine, now this. The iPhone has did it again. I hate Apple, but I gotta leave some credit.

I don't really care as long as I don't see an open environment, shall we say gta3 type or like we have in fallout 3.

A closed room with detail textures doesn't mean much to me.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
Just the lighting itself is far more advanced than the Q3E could ever do. First the Unreal 3 Engine, now this. The iPhone has did it again. I hate Apple, but I gotta leave some credit.
I think the lighting is baked, but due to the technique (virtual textures) the texture detail is much higher than normal. This gives the wonderful illusion of radiosity/GI in a scene even though the actual computed lighting effects may be on par with the original Quake. Thanks to the technique, textures are loaded as needed, placing less burden on GPU memory.

I give Carmack credit. It has surprisingly little to do with the iPhone specifically.

Sometimes I wish I was a real-time graphics researcher. It's so exciting to me! I may have missed my calling. Maybe....

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
I don't really care as long as I don't see an open environment, shall we say gta3 type or like we have in fallout 3.

A closed room with detail textures doesn't mean much to me.
Haha.. You'll have to forgive me. When you mentioned 'closed building' before I thought you were being metaphorical as to the state of the code not being open, thus my last reply was out of context.

I agree that sometimes closed rooms demonstrate lower geometry based on visibility distance, but with even rudimentary LOD, this can be rendered moot. For example, given the pictures in my past post, you can trace the edges of the hills and notice that the scene would not actually require terribly high geometry. In this case, the graphical quality is in the textures, not the geometry!

Tags
carmack, iphone4, mega texture, sparse voxel, virtual texture