Originally Posted by patlak View Post
You mad, bra? You seem to believe that everybody is Kangal....
If only

Well just think about it.... how can you be fed up/sick of something you haven't even seen or used. Until a proper review of Android 2.9 Ice Cream Sanwich or the "Nexus Prime" is done, you cannot be sure.

Btw, for all of those that say "who cares about how long a phone can last competitive"... I'll say "look at your N900"

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
The thing that caused me to return to my N900 was mainly the integration of chat with the entire experience. To be able to be online with 4 different IM services with little effort on my part, to have that integrated into the contacts and conversation applications, to have Skype integrated into the phone application - all this made the experience clean and straightforward.

No other phone had this. Now the N9 recreates that, adding the feeds from facebook and twitter. Yes, the Skype video calling is missing. From much of the time my N900's Skype video calling was useless to me - the other party was on a Mac and Skype there wasn't at a revision that could pick up the video. No matter, I used the phone to have voice conversations with nothing to indicate this was other than phone conversation but the small Skype logo.

The N9 will give me that, nothing else will without the need for separate applications. My needs, my use cases for my handheld device are specific (impacted by almost two years of using a highly-advanced device, the N900) - the N9 meets them.

Specifications, within reason, don't matter. Functionality does - for me.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kjmackey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by kjmackey View Post
The thing that caused me to return to my N900 was mainly the integration of chat with the entire experience. To be able to be online with 4 different IM services with little effort on my part, to have that integrated into the contacts and conversation applications, to have Skype integrated into the phone application - all this made the experience clean and straightforward.

No other phone had this. Now the N9 recreates that, adding the feeds from facebook and twitter. Yes, the Skype video calling is missing. From much of the time my N900's Skype video calling was useless to me - the other party was on a Mac and Skype there wasn't at a revision that could pick up the video. No matter, I used the phone to have voice conversations with nothing to indicate this was other than phone conversation but the small Skype logo.

The N9 will give me that, nothing else will without the need for separate applications. My needs, my use cases for my handheld device are specific (impacted by almost two years of using a highly-advanced device, the N900) - the N9 meets them.

Specifications, within reason, don't matter. Functionality does - for me.
The seamless IM integration is really a nice feature that you take for granted in your daily life.

I remember using the Meebo Android client on my HTC Hero and it often just closed the client and I really hated it.

Does anyone know how the IM integration is on the N9. And what about Android? Can you get a nice IM client that always remain open, does take up your battery life, supports Jabber, Facebook and MSN and maybe can be integrated into the address book and mix with your other conservations (SMS and MMS)?

The Following User Says Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
If only

Well just think about it.... how can you be fed up/sick of something you haven't even seen or used. Until a proper review of Android 2.9 Ice Cream Sanwich or the "Nexus Prime" is done, you cannot be sure.

Btw, for all of those that say "who cares about how long a phone can last competitive"... I'll say "look at your N900"
I'm fed up of Android, and I've seen that (honeycomb or gingerbread). ICS will just be a mix of both for smartphones, like the leaked videos already prove.

Enjoy your Android, Kangals.

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Does anyone know how the IM integration is on the N9
Its fully integrated. Ive got fb chat set up to be online at all times, and it is. You see in your contacts list who is online by a little icon on their display picture, you can start a chat right from contacts list, you get notifications like its an SMS, its really pretty damn great.

Of course all your available chat accounts can be set up for this, like google talk etc.

Thats one thing the N9 did pretty well. No MSN though, which is a shame.

Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by slai View Post
Its fully integrated. Ive got fb chat set up to be online at all times, and it is. You see in your contacts list who is online by a little icon on their display picture, you can start a chat right from contacts list, you get notifications like its an SMS, its really pretty damn great.

Of course all your available chat accounts can be set up for this, like google talk etc.

Thats one thing the N9 did pretty well. No MSN though, which is a shame.
Ouch! You can't IM support with a plugin like MSN Pecan?

I've bought the n9 and it is soooo good. Much better then android.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
@kjmackey who wrote: "The N9 will give me that, nothing else will without the need for separate applications. My needs, my use cases for my handheld device are specific (impacted by almost two years of using a highly-advanced device, the N900) - the N9 meets them."

-> concerning Skype integration you could check the Pre 3 WebOS phone.
It has integrated Skype, out of the box. It was the reason I have bought one
The Skype video chat works perfectly, also over 3G, probably thanks to the 1.4Ghz processor.
the only annoying thing with the Pre3 is that when you have multiple Skype accounts and you want to switch like on the N900, you have to delete the old Skype account and the related Skype contacts will disappear from your address book.

It is too bad that the few devices that feature this seamless level of Skype integration somehow end up to be judged not commercially viable by their creator....

Last edited by ste-phan; 2011-10-15 at 10:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Check out the galaxy note

by the way

It is too bad that the few devices that feature this seamless level of Skype integration somehow end up to be judged not commercially viable by their creator....
maybe it's not random. Maybe the carriers see to it..

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
After reading these threads, I think I'm lucky I don't have to think about this. Good thing that the N950 solves my thoughts about whether I should get a new phone.