Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
This morning I went for my first run with the N900. I would be interested in seeing comments of others who jog with this tablet; tips and tricks would be welcome.

I had also took my new Directlife device, which is supposed to measure how much activity I have. I haven't looked at the results yet.

The main difference between this and earlier tablets is that I felt much less likely to get comments such as "Is that an N800 in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?"

It sat in my pocket and didn't swing much. And the sound quality (I was listening to The Economist with a cheap but durable Nike behind-the-ear headset) was good.

Tomorrow I will probably try out my bluetooth headset; it is a Cardo S-2 which is of wonderful sound quality but not durable -- I have already broken one of them.

I was a bit concerned that the sound would break up a bit because the jack would wiggle in its emplacement, but all was stable. It seems to me I will incorporate the N900 in my jogs. It is especially nice to have a phone with me automatically -- I occasionally used to jog with an mp3 player and a phone, and I felt overburdened. Now I could theoretically stop off at a coffee house and look like any other phone-toting yuppie.

Is it ok to jog with it, what about the hard drive inside?

The Following User Says Thank You to any For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oxford , England
I went jogging with mine the other day, I held it in my right hand instead of putting it in a pocket though. Was really good cause i had my motivational tunes on! ( pendulum!) and also had ecoach running so i could check my stats out after

The Following User Says Thank You to jcm6084 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 60 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Originally Posted by any View Post
Is it ok to jog with it, what about the hard drive inside?
It is totally ok. The "harddrive" has no moving parts. It's a flash chip.

The Following User Says Thank You to gobuki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Milton Keynes, UK
I use mine for both running and biking.

for running i brought a cheap arm strap off of ebay ages ago for my 5800. it was big enough to squeeze my N97 in when I upgraded and even managed to stretch a little bit more to fit my N900 =)

I wouldnt want to keep it in my pocket bouncing around though.

ecoach is great but i miss the community features of sportstracker.

the only things that worries me are rain and when i'm on my bike I worry about falling off and landing on my phone. not that its ever happened but I get paranoid with this beauty =)

Last edited by jamiefuller; 2010-03-22 at 06:20. Reason: mistake in message

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Don't forget the Pedometer widget, which works as a stepcounter.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Posts: 241 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
When I shake my N900 i can here a rattling sound from around the camera. How does the autofocus work without moving parts? Hence, I am a little bit afraid of taking my N900 with me for jogging.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by raily View Post
When I shake my N900 i can here a rattling sound from around the camera.
Wouldn't that be the accelerometer?

Posts: 241 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Wouldn't that be the accelerometer?
As far as I know accelerometers are micromechanical structures so small you could never here it moving, Must be something else though.

Do your here something when you shake your phone next to your ear?

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
Could be a loose sim card slot or micro sd card slot.

The Following User Says Thank You to joshv06 For This Useful Post: