Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Anyway, best of luck with your "Maemo on MeeGo" project. It seems like it'll be the sane variant of MeeGo for a lot of us.
Thanks.
I hope I finally found a suitable hardware platform for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
"For Meego, at least people seem to know how to spell it. Not so for Maemo"

Freemantle?

It's "Fremantle"

Originally Posted by cmsjkung View Post
Yes, MeeGo should be better in all aspects, but we will need to buy another Nokia mobile phone again, and I don't think they will do that well in first release.....as everything will need to start again such as firmware and software improvement.

The problem is, Nokia is going to change everything when they release second version of MeeGo...just like the same story in Symbian

Really want to know why their OS and device road map is like this.... or they have already make too much and don't know how to spend it so continue to keep thing change without providing good support for existing device.......
I have lost all faith in MeeGo. There is nothing magical or different with MeeGo as apposed to Maemo. I have MeeGo on my netbook, and it is nice, although much less functional and practical like Puppy for instance, but to the point:

MeeGo is run by Intel. Intel uses MeeGo as a means to cut off the software middle man (Microsoft and others), so the whole profit margin goes to Intel. Nothing wrong with that, but MeeGo is made and licensed to be 100% open source and to be used by OEM. 100% open source sounds nice, but it is not. It means that a fully functioning MeeGo will never be released, since most HW drivers are not open source, and the MeeGo team refuse to include these drivers in their distro. For MeeGo to be fully functional (on netbooks), someone else has to redistribute MeeGo along with all closed drivers. Maybe someone will do that, but I doubt it, since the kernel is also tweaked exclusively for Atom, excluding some AMD processors. It is more likely (although still unlikely) that some will adopt the MeeGo WM (Canonical has decided not to). This means that MeeGo for netbooks is 100% OEM for all practical purposes (except for Linux enthusiasts), even though it is 100% open source. The OEM partners can include closed drivers, and closed everything for their hardware.

MeeGo for handsets has very little in common with MeeGo for netbooks, and is probably best viewed as one of those "closed" OEM versions. Why should this be better or different than Maemo? I can only see one benefit, and that is if Nokia starts producing tablets/handsets with Intel hardware. Such a device I would probably purchase.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
You were realistically hoping for more?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
MeeGo is run by Intel. Intel uses MeeGo as a means to cut off the software middle man (Microsoft and others), so the whole profit margin goes to Intel. Nothing wrong with that, but MeeGo is made and licensed to be 100% open source and to be used by OEM. 100% open source sounds nice, but it is not. It means that a fully functioning MeeGo will never be released, since most HW drivers are not open source, and the MeeGo team refuse to include these drivers in their distro. For MeeGo to be fully functional (on netbooks), someone else has to redistribute MeeGo along with all closed drivers.
Wait, are you saying this is good or that this is bad ? I had plenty of WTF moments reading posts by certain Intel MeeGos, but let's give credit to Intel where it's due. Intel is at least doing the right thing (with the notable exception of the ill-fated PowerVR/Poulsbo driver case) - they say, if we can provide open drivers for our hardware, we see no need for a 'special treatment' of companies who don't do that. With all their imperfections, they ARE fighting against closed drivers, and they should receive full kudos for that. As for providing Atom only images - they simply don't care about it (not a nice trait, but not a crime either). The moment someone at AMD or serious interests outside Intel actually comes to MeeGo and says - hey, I need it on some other hardware, such versions will pop-up in no-time. You don't see that now because Intel is at the forefront of MeeGo Core and AMD/others are sitting on the fence waiting to see what will come of it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by smoku View Post

It's "Fremantle"
Like... Morgan Freman? That seems silly. Maemo Meemo Maymo Fraymantle Frehmantle FREEmantle!

Wait 'till we poke fun at HARMattan.

Originally Posted by bsving View Post
I have lost all faith in MeeGo.
[lightning bolts from fingertips] Go back to your corner! I am supposed to be the official Cynic of the First Order in this realm and even I don't kick MeeGo to the side so quickly and completely. Let's first see what comes of it on a handset and then decide whether it deserves respect, revilement or relative indifference.

Love my N900. It has its quirks, but it gets a lot of things right that other handsets don't. Almost didn't go for it considering the let down of my previous N-series handsets but I'm glad I did. I don't have plans of upgrading my N900 any time soon, but if I did, I'd probably be looking for something similar in terms of features (upgraded of course), smaller in size (still need a hardware keyboard), same great stability (but there's always room for improvement), and with the UI kinks ironed out (hopefully).

Saying all this, I wouldn't be surprised if Nokia gave up the platform entirely because they seem to have a knack for making bad decisions (save the N900)...

The Following User Says Thank You to davetech For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by davetech View Post
Love my N900. It has its quirks, but it gets a lot of things right that other handsets don't. Almost didn't go for it considering the let down of my previous N-series handsets but I'm glad I did. I don't have plans of upgrading my N900 any time soon, but if I did, I'd probably be looking for something similar in terms of features (upgraded of course), smaller in size (still need a hardware keyboard), same great stability (but there's always room for improvement), and with the UI kinks ironed out (hopefully).
That's funny... thats what I kept saying about my N800.. and that's what I also said about my next upgrade too. Still waiting for that upgrade from the N800 (hint: It's not the N900). :P

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by ZShakespeare View Post
Toyota makes great vehicles, so does BMW. I would buy either over a Chevy any day. What's your point?
If you'd read my reply, you'd have seen the point. My point, put simply, is that the OP is saying "there is no support", when in fact there has been, and continues to be support. Period. Full stop. End of Line. FACT.

You then stepped in saying X has better support than Nokia, which means Nokia has no support. Saying X provides better service than Nokia is fine. Saying Nokia provides no service because X's service is so good is factually wrong. X's service providing skills have no bearing whatsoever on the fact of if Nokia provides support or not.

Fact: Nokia released a device with software that was not finished. Period. It is missing features that anyone would expect from a smartphone. Period. They have bungled any sort of OVI support, from ovi services integration, to the ovi store. Full stop.
This has nothing to do with service. They said right on the box what functionality it had. Your expectations of what a "smart phone" should have may have not been in line with this tablet computer does, but again, this has nothing to do with service. And last I looked, there's plenty of support with the OVI suite, and in the OVI store.

Don't try and say it's not a phone, it's a mobile computer, because if the N900 is a mobile computer, then so is every other high end smartphone which has more features and functionality.
It's a computer, with a phone app. And no, not every other high end smartphone is a computer. Can you do ray tracing on an iPhone? Can you do on-device video editing, and/or format conversion (ala ffmpeg) on your android phone? No. Because they're not computers, they're phones.

Do you think netbooks or device like the nook should have all the features of a smartphone just because they have a SIM card slot? Why do you think this tablet computer should have all the features of a smart phone because it has a SIM card? (Besides your inability to read, as per above...) The N900 was designed as a tablet first, and had the phone bits added on. It's focus was on mobile data usage, and maybe basic phone usage, which it does quite well. The bigger problem has been vendors touting it as a phone, when in fact that is NOT what this model line is about.

Is it really worth the money when you could buy a Motorola and get major software updates?
I didn't buy the N900 based on what I hoped it would some day do. I bought it based on what it said it was capable of already doing. And in case you haven't noticed, let me point out again that we've had two major and one minor software updates already, in under a year. How long has the Droid been out? How many updates has it seen?

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I could ray tracing on my watch if I'm patient enough. Doesn't make it a computer? Does it?

By "computer" we understand "desktop-like abilities". Not full, or there is no computer other than desktop. You should define your terms before arguing?

Define computer, define phone, then we talk.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokiaisrelevant, noreally!