Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I've still got a working Nokia E71. That would be my backup phone after the Jolla. Don't make me user Symbian again... :-*

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Some low-end Android devices are really cheap, like the Nokia X2 or Chinese branded devices, just sell Jolla and with same money you can buy a higher spec Android. Jolla's hardware is crap and we pay to get SFOS, I can't see the point spending time and effort here while most Android is cheaper and better in HW.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Oxford, UK
On the other hand, which parts of SailfishOS do we really need to service that we can't do ourselves? Can't we replace any closed source part with a reimplementation? Let's say we want a new feature in the 'Phone' app, just code an alternative. Or was the point that this won't happen due to too few active coders? stefan

The Following User Says Thank You to strahl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Some low-end Android devices are really cheap, like the Nokia X2 or Chinese branded devices, just sell Jolla and with same money you can buy a higher spec Android. Jolla's hardware is crap and we pay to get SFOS, I can't see the point spending time and effort here while most Android is cheaper and better in HW.
Hybris is sadly not an 'add +libhybris when compiling and forget' kind of deal. You can see how long it takes to port SFOS to any device in the wikis, most boot at start and require intensive hacking to get each module to work, as the chinese have drivers that 'just work on that exact config' and that's it (which explains why you get no updates on your 500$ phone), any change breaks a ton of things. With open drivers in imagined future it would be possible and realistic.

Originally Posted by strahl
On the other hand, which parts of SailfishOS do we really need to service that we can't do ourselves? Can't we replace any closed source part with a reimplementation? Let's say we want a new feature in the 'Phone' app, just code an alternative. Or was the point that this won't happen due to too few active coders? stefan
Few active coders is a worry, but the only chance for that is if jolla's investors drop the imagined worth in UI IP and finally open source it (on combined commercial license), their worst fears of some chinese company shipping Julla devices are misplaced, it would help Jolla/SFOS in the long end, more active coders, fixing their bugs, adding new features, lost sales when they cannot secure them in the first place... ehh

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by strahl View Post
The whole UI (Silica) is closed source. Some members here say that the UI defines Sailfish. If so, then you can say that the main part that defines it is closed. Reimplenting Silica is considerably harder than reimplementing the Phone app (which badly needs reimplementing anyway).

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
And, to beat an old drum, why is everyone here so unbelievably insistent on open-sourcing the Sailfish UI? There already exists an open UI on top of Mer: Nemo.

Jolla has spent its own money to create Silica, they should be allowed to do with it what they want. I just really, really don't understand why the "open-source community" continually beats the drum to open up closed projects, yet continually turns its back on open projects...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Envy? Or NSA/Mossad like interests, bugs in silica would allow for better penetration

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Every single thread of sailfishos/jolla future ends with these opensourcing discussions, even if title says "Android on Jolla", who cares. It's just another good thread to discuss same things again. Everybody know Silica with most of SailfishOS core applications will be opensourced, if Jolla itself will revive after this period and if inverstors will say "yes, it will be helpful"

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
Every single thread of sailfishos/jolla future ends with these opensourcing discussions, even if title says "Android on Jolla", who cares. It's just another good thread to discuss same things again. Everybody know Silica with most of SailfishOS core applications will be opensourced, if Jolla itself will revive after this period and if inverstors will say "yes, it will be helpful"
No! Only open sourcing will save...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
yes i have read on irc log..that's how coderus said. however i have a question that go after the same opensourcing sfos fight:
why there is no one or so few people to develop UI and other part of Nemo ? just curious about it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post: