Active Topics

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
11n doesn't necessarily mean 3 antennas. In fact all mobile 11n chipsets i've seen so far were 1x1 parts meaning they support only one antenna and thus achieve at most 150mbit/s.

Correct me if im worng, but the main point of N is MIMO
which, by definition, requires more than one input and more than one output
or is it that the single antennas are sending and recieving on two seperate channels?

and what mobile Ns have you seen?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by luso View Post
WiMax can also be seen as a wireless extension of fixed broadband. In USA, AT&T is looking at WiMax to provide broadband access to remote areas, and in countries like India the operators are doing the same. In Developing countries there is a significant number of wiMax Deployments and it is also staring in East Europe, France, etc.).

What I find interesting in WiMax is the possibility that this technology may force Mobile operators to move from the cashcow model to a flat rate model, unlimited access that exists in most countries for fixed broadband. In the end, WiMax may lead to a radical change in Mobile market. Sprint has already indicated that they are planning to do something in these lines.

A interesting market to watch is Korea where a Wimax (Wibro) like network is changing the rules of the game.
Good points.

Here is a (probably incomplete) list of WiMAX networks planned, being rolled out, or already rolled out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...WiMAX_networks

The nice thing of WiMAX is that it, like all previous <= 4G, has roaming support which WiFi doesn't. WiFi also has a short range. Although WiMAX has a far better range, the speeds go dramatically lower if you're not near the AP. WiFi has this too, and 3G too, but with 3G there are simply a lot of APs. In one way WiMAX is the very same as 3G: the frequencies are sold to corporations who bid on these frequencies. So, with WiMAX too, you have a monopoly situation. WiMAX won't solve this problem, but it might allow corporations to compete with telcos leading to advancement in this industry. Telcos roll out WiMAX in rural areas, and not in areas where there is already connectivity. Non-telcos do roll WiMAX, to compete with telcos.

In theory, telcos could roll out WiMAX and allow users to use this with data plans and so on. But telcos want to 1) get their 3G investments back 2) limit data usage for that (either not good enough embedded device, or no tethering) 3) limit the usage of wireless 24/7 Internet connecticity so they can still earn money on their <= 3G networks. VPNs, VoIP, and tethering are often illegal by contract. The reason for this is point 2 and 3.

Unfortunately, my bottom line is, for a mobile device non 24/7 connectivity simply doesn't cut it. Say you use your NIT as a navigation system. You'd want to have accurate, recent data about e.g. traffic. You don't drive to McDonalds to use their WiFi AP to update this information. That is way too begin 90s (here it was called Greenpoint).

Originally Posted by Underscore View Post
I think I'll wait for the next next tablet
I'm moving to rural Missouri soon. No WiMax there I'm sure.
Currently living in rural Missouri for 70% of the year I believe the old pairing to unlimited data plan and wifi is the only real way to go. The whole point of WiMax has always seemed like a product filling a niche that didn't seem to be needed (to me).

Originally Posted by TTgowings View Post
I'm just still curious as to why Nokia seems to think Wi-Max is more important then wireless Gigabit/N especially since the draft is now off of N.

As many ppl have pointed out that Wi-Max starts off on shaky ground and only a select few markets whereas many ppl have or would or could upgrade to Gigabit.
The N8xx's don't really have the CPU power to process that much bandwidth. Even if it could actually transmit a gigabit of information in a second, it wouldn't be able to do anything with it. The N8xx's aren't even likely to max out a 802.11g link.

The point of Wi-Max isn't exceeding the speed limits of the devices' existing links, but rather giving the device greater range for "ubiquitous" connectivity to the internet.

If my area had Wi-Max, I'd be all over it, assuming the rates were reasonable. (Ha ha.)

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Aural View Post
Currently living in rural Missouri for 70% of the year I believe the old pairing to unlimited data plan and wifi is the only real way to go. The whole point of WiMax has always seemed like a product filling a niche that didn't seem to be needed (to me).
Unlimited data plan can be WiMAX-based provided its rolled out. WiMAX is like an evolutionary step of 3G (UMTS & HS*PA). It is part of 4G. WiMAX allows faster speed than 3G, with good coverage although speeds vary greatly based on how far you are from the AP. In theory, this is a good thing for rural areas, but its also good for big cities where a large number of potential customers have 24/7 coverage in the city.

Unfortunately, telcos don't want to invest in a competitor for their rolled out 3G network, they don't want faster speed for their customers, they don't want to see customers as people who might have something interesting to share hence they prefer techniques who have limited upload speed (WiMAX is symmetric in this regard), and they certainly don't want customers to use things like VoIP. Too bad for them because sooner or later it will happen. The only question is when (and aspects like is the latency is adequate enough for general usage).

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Another good thing is no contracts and highly tailored plans like being charged by the hour/day.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted by CleverJake View Post
Correct me if im worng, but the main point of N is MIMO
which, by definition, requires more than one input and more than one output
or is it that the single antennas are sending and recieving on two seperate channels?

and what mobile Ns have you seen?
Correct, the whole point of N is MIMO which requires multiple antennas. The 810 is pretty small to really allow spacial diversity to allow the antennas to do the job they are supposed to. I used to develop WiFi radios and worked on some pre-n solutions which required two separate g radio front ends. There's no way the N8x0 could support the added power requirement for this radio solution. I will have to look at the current proposed n draft and some current radios to see what the implementation is.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Seattle
in that case id really like to know what Master of Gizmo was suggesting in his last post about "mobile 11n" and the 1x1 parts

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Unlimited data plan can be WiMAX-based provided its rolled out.
I guess I didn't think about this. I generally follow the pessimistic mindset that the carriers will try to screw their customers by making WiMAX a separate service. Also, I had always thought of WiMax as a data only service not necessarily to be used for normal communications (phone calls), but upon doing some research I now realize that that was just ignorance on my behalf.

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Portugal
Interesting (AT&T & WiMax):
AT&T: WiMax Is Top Candidate for Rural Broadband
http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=160620

AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T - message board) is considering expanding its WiMax footprint beyond the frozen wastes of Alaska as the rising cost of copper starts to make DSL deployments prohibitively expensive in rural areas of the U.S.

The carrier's CTO, John Donovan, tells USA Today that WiMax is “at the top of the list” as an alternative technology to copper for the operator. He added that the carrier is also considering cellular femtocells -- tiny base stations that extend the speed and coverage of wireless signals in the home -- as the way to get cheaper broadband faster to country folk.

Tags
n810we, wimax