OK, I tried several different dm9601.c found over the net but none worked. At last I went back to vanilla kernel and took the dm9601 from version 2.6.24 and with this one the blue adapter seems to work well (it fixed the MTU overrun at two places).

Unfortunately I have got something messed up in the meantime - now an ICD2 process eats 100% CPU time and JFFS2 reports something about missing disk space (df shows enough free disk). I don't know if/how it is related to the new kernel module so let me fix that before announcing total success with the DM9601...

The Following User Says Thank You to petr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Petr, do you think the FreeBSD patch I found might have useful code? see wiki: http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...de_and_OS_2008

Also, the need to drop from 100 Mbps to 10 Mbps sounds to me like a noise (perhaps component crosstalk) issue. I am not surprised to see that in a cheap device.

Texrat, the BSD patch is completely unrelated (it just adds the Davicom USB ID to a BSD USB net driver).

Anyway, the 2.6.24 driver works indeed - I was browsing the web and using the VoIP last night without problems. The occasional icd2 lock up is still a mystery, though. I work around it by rebooting - it usually helps. Wish I knew what it is doing inside.

I added the "9601" to the udev rules so now when the cable is inserted the eth0 connection goes up automagically and everything seems to work just fine, well sometimes. I suspect the usbEthUp/Down script since if I configure the eth0 manually using ifconfig then it starts working again.

The Following User Says Thank You to petr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
Just wanted to update this thread. I loaded the scripts up on my N810 running 2008.43-7 and everything worked flawlessly with my Linksys USB100M.