Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Well, I don't think 2009 is the end of the world, or even a one-year suspension of the world. People are going to keep buying computers, but they are going to buy cheaper. I got an early start with my $200 shuttle and my $350 eee pc in 2008, but I'm sure I will find cheap stuff in 2009. I don't think the economy is going to completely tank; all that stimulus money is actually having an effect and will continue. The real test is 2010. If a real recovery doesn't start by then, we don't have a recession, we have a realignment, meaning that the good old days are permanently gone.

But still, people will keep buying, but they will buy cheaper. Whoever can do cheap will prosper. Whoever can't, won't. People are going to stop buying what they want but keep buying what they need.
There's the denial I was talking about.

Buyer denial = that's wrong

Customers buy - in innovation - if the provider is the first (time to markets)

and at a good price / profit (see example Apple iPhone or Asus eee)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Frank I think you've been programming too long.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Peter's post does talk about choosing to accelerate Maemo's evolution by skipping Elephanta. It's not unreasonable to try and pin him down as to what this means in terms of the original "5 step" plan ;-)
It's okay to try to pin me down, but it's kind of difficult in an online forum, isn't it?! ;-)

Anyway, we don't have anything to announce on the Maemo 5 lead device right now. I understand that it would be important and fun to know more about the upcoming products but Nokia has a large business and launch dates are a complex issue. If you launch too early, you loose the excitement until the sales start. If you loose too early, you might cannibalize your existing product portfolio. If you launch too late then you don't give enough time for application and content developers to create content. If you launch too late, then you increase the risk for product leakages. If you launch too late, then you can't do wide-spread field testing with regular customers risking quality at sales start. And so on... The race is still on whether the Asus P565’s, the Palm Pre, or any Android MID will actually ship in a place near you before the lead device for Maemo 5.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Palm seems a bit closer to me right now. Plus, they've just got too much riding on getting it into consumer hands to not be putting everything they've got into this product.

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-01-09 at 07:50. Reason: Cranked down the sarcasm 12.659 notches

Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
It's okay to try to pin me down, but it's kind of difficult in an online forum, isn't it?! ;-)

Anyway, we don't have anything to announce on the Maemo 5 lead device right now. I understand that it would be important and fun to know more about the upcoming products but Nokia has a large business and launch dates are a complex issue. If you launch too early, you loose the excitement until the sales start. If you loose too early, you might cannibalize your existing product portfolio. If you launch too late then you don't give enough time for application and content developers to create content. If you launch too late, then you increase the risk for product leakages. If you launch too late, then you can't do wide-spread field testing with regular customers risking quality at sales start. And so on... The race is still on whether the Asus P565’s, the Palm Pre, or any Android MID will actually ship in a place near you before the lead device for Maemo 5.
http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/01/us...ith-windows-xp

hmm will it launch before this? i have a feeling intel mids are going to overtake the market and leave nokia behind.

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post

Peter, you raise some good points, but if you look at the past history you see that time to market and price in the end is the key point. Often it is not the best product that succeeds (see beta vs VHS).

And regarding financial crisis, people tend to cut on traveling, buying expensive items (e.g. cars), but the sales of gadgets increase, because they are a cheap way to boost the moral. It is cheaper to buy a X360 for the kids than to take the kids out to amusement parks... Just look at the most sold items in EU and US in the last months.

I do hope Nokia releases the N900 sooner than later, otherwise it may miss the boat. ASUS, LG and Samsung move fast.
I am considering replacing by N800 and the N95 by the N97. With the N97, the N900 will not provide much value added (I have a Netboot-tablet to fill the gap).

However, I do appreciate to see the strong support of Maemo community. It is like the Amiga PC user's group activity when I was kid.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
There's the denial I was talking about.
It's a shame what happened to you, but (touch wood) I'm fairly confident in keeping my job this year. Other people will too.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by luso View Post
Peter, you raise some good points, but if you look at the past history you see that time to market and price in the end is the key point. Often it is not the best product that succeeds (see beta vs VHS).
Very valid point. We aware of this. But VHS versus BetaMax was more a fight about technologies. And the licensing terms made all the difference at the end, even for an inferior product. The technology battle is another, yet linked, battle than the fight for the consumer's hearts and minds.

With Palm coming out with the Web OS, the choice for developers has just become again more fragmented, but Linux as a choice has been again strengthened.

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Peter's post does talk about choosing to accelerate Maemo's evolution by skipping Elephanta. It's not unreasonable to try and pin him down as to what this means in terms of the original "5 step" plan ;-)

exactly. skipping a step is what I was getting at - is it "step 4" that is being skipped?

And 've been folowing other threads about it GA, but things do seem to be changing and morphing, so I think it's a valid question in this thread.

and, if after all this wait, development, etc etc, if this ISNT step 5 of 5 (ie the final, non-geek mainstream consumer-friendly end product) then i really think they've missed the boat.

Also, if this is going to be step 4, i think step 5 really will include a 3d printer, telporatation unit and cloaking device!

Tags
blurry photos, fud, funny farm, haiku, hibernation, not the droids, picnic baskets, straightjacket, trollosaurus rex, what competition?