Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by pixelseventy2 View Post
I think the key part of his statement was "and there is no good replacement that integrates into the desktop natively." which claws certainly doesn't do. Although I don't have any major problems with modest
Since, among the bundled offerings, I only use the (buggy) web browser and the (even more buggy) rss reader, for me claws is as integrated as it gets, anyway this is another shortcoming (fixed in fremantle?) of the bundled stack, that doesn't allow to plug different applications than the defaults ones (i.e. while claws is perfectly able to open a link in the browser, it's impossible for the browser to route a mailto link to claws)

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by luca View Post
(i.e. while claws is perfectly able to open a link in the browser, it's impossible for the browser to route a mailto link to claws)
[Citation needed]

It's actually perfectly possible, it's just not as easy as it should be, although it makes perfect sense considering Nokia's background.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
[Citation needed]

It's actually perfectly possible, it's just not as easy as it should be, although it makes perfect sense considering Nokia's background.
I cannot search it now, (the search in thread function doesn't work with microb, oh the irony) but I thought it only worked with mime types of http/https documents/links, I didn't know it also works with mailto.

Originally Posted by luca View Post
Since, among the bundled offerings, I only use the (buggy) web browser and the (even more buggy) rss reader, for me claws is as integrated as it gets, anyway this is another shortcoming (fixed in fremantle?) of the bundled stack, that doesn't allow to plug different applications than the defaults ones (i.e. while claws is perfectly able to open a link in the browser, it's impossible for the browser to route a mailto link to claws)
That's only part of it -- use the system contacts database, integrated with the system mail settings, etc. I tried Claws, and wasn't too impressed with the experience as a whole. Similarly I'm not interested in whole gui replacements like gnome or kde. I like Hildon, but they've either got to improve the bugginess of the built-in stuff, or get out of the way and either let the community fix things like Modest, or develop drop-in replacements that can be integrated.

I used to use a Palm Tungsten C. The native Palm email client was lacking, so I went with SnapperMail. It was very integrated, essentially with the palm providing fundamental services that made SnapperMail a very effective drop-in replacement.

Last edited by canoehead; 2008-12-04 at 01:41. Reason: Missed a word...

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Anyone is free to work on Modest. It's totally open source.

Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
Anyone is free to work on Modest. It's totally open source.
More accurately, anyone is free to fork modest. The source code may be available under an open licence, but it's not a community project (ie, development is driven cathedral-style based on internal design specifications that we can't even see). Moreover, Nokia seems to has decided that it's adequate in its current state and has moved most of the developers to other projects.

There seems little point in spending all the time and effort required to get to grips with the code (and tinymail, camel etc) only to be told that your patch goes against the design or (to get back on topic) that things will be done differently in Fremantle and your patch doesn't apply.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by pixelseventy2 View Post
Is anyone else getting as annoyed by the constant "fixed in fremantle" comments on bugzilla?
Actually, I've just realized that I want a maemo.org "Fixed in Fremantle" T-shirt. The maemo.org redesign better bring with it a store from which I can make such a purchase.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
They've promised to sell us these shirts, but they won't be available until the second half of 2010. The official word is that if we want these shirts sooner, the community needs to step up and provide them ourselves.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Hah ! That is easy... just buy some inkjet-printable decals, leech the logo and add the three words in heavy Gothic font, iron out... problem solved.

Tell you what... I'll take care of the T-shirts and have them ready when you guys roll out FremantleHE for the N8x0, 'kay ? :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
(Sorry, have to painfully extend the metaphor. )

@fpp: We could just leech the logo, but that brings up the question of all sorts of legal issues. What we should do is replace the non-free parts of the logo with a free logo!

Tags
firmware, fremantle, rant