Is there a way someone can port eclipse to N900 so i can do programming directy on my device ?

eclipse is Java. Don't think there's any java ports for Maemo yet.

You might be able to get it to work inside Easy Debian though.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

oh god.

eclipse.

what an incredible heap of bloat. And running a hog like that on the n900? Dream on... An IDE like eclipse can - in the best case - help mediocre "because it's good money"-programmers not to get lost in a medium sized business applications. If you actually care about programming, how about you drop those training wheels and learn how to ride the bike properly?

eclipse....

ctrl-space-ctrl-space-ctrl-space-ctrl-space-ctrl-space

edit: oh. just to write something constructive instead of this meaningless stuff above: Java doesn't really work on the n900. Also, Java is slow, avoid it. Then again, you can write code in that silly IDE if you want to, try it out in the SDK and so on. If that works out for you...
  • "ytcli", a simple but effective command line youtube client which allows you to play videos from the CLI instantly or download videos on a queue.

The Following User Says Thank You to shapeshifter For This Useful Post:
No need to be aggresive. It's for learning purposes. I'm learning c programing in my first year in college. I'm not planning on creating diablo 4 on my n900 )

The other problem you'll have is getting a full C/C++ compiler toolchain on the N900 is a tad tricky. It includes enabling the SDK repository and installing some stuff from there.. not to mention having to manually optify some things because of rootfs space.

So realy: C++ development in Maemo is not all that good of an option to be done right inside Maemo (while possible, not realy worth it). However, as I said, all this is available in the easy debian stuff, and would be simpler to setup.

But yes; a Java based IDE would likely run like total trash on such a weak processor in Easy Debian. KDevelop might run a bit smoother.. but none of this is really optimized for touch screens.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by Bytales View Post
I'm learning c programing in my first year in college.
All the better reason to stay away from it. I don't think the GCC package is optified or how much space it takes up, but that + vim would be capable of doing every assignment you'll likely have.

Originally Posted by Bytales View Post
No need to be aggresive. It's for learning purposes. I'm learning c programing in my first year in college. I'm not planning on creating diablo 4 on my n900 )
That's cool. I recommend you to learn the basics in a simple text editor though. Maybe it's just my view of things but I seriously think that you have to learn bare bones techniques first. More or less helpful evironments like eclipse you'll have enough time to discover lateron.
  • "ytcli", a simple but effective command line youtube client which allows you to play videos from the CLI instantly or download videos on a queue.