Notices

I'm using a 770 with OS2006. Just updated. Canola begins to load and then goes into an endless "updating media library". Only way to stop it is to use the taskbar tool that allows one to "kill" a program.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Ogar View Post
Unfortunately, I'm still having video/audio playback issues with choppy video and audio. I've tried uninstalling Canola with the Canola uninstall utility several times in a row, then rebooting, then installing everything again. It appears as though I have mPlayer .26 official verson from the extras repository. I don't have any devel grade repositories installed (as far as I can tell) and I have no idea how to remove python-launcher, or where it's located.

I've had this issues since v8, but decided to wait until 9 to see if anything changed.I just ran through the sequence described in the forums for version 8 several times with v.9 and no luck. Any additional suggestions?
mplayer .27 should fare better afaik.

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
Hey, just updated today and spent some time playing with it

It's amazing! I'm still amazed at how gorgeous canola is on the tablet The animations seem much smoother and the interface hangs less often. Especially the settings menus, way less tearing. Cover Arts as well seems a little smoother.

On the subject of cover arts, the Cover Arts plugin hung at 2% every time I tried it... I ran the standalone script and that worked.

On the whole I love it! Thanks for such an amazing program guys!

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by Ogar View Post
I'm still having video/audio playback issues with choppy video and audio. ... It appears as though I have mPlayer .26 official verson from the extras repository.
Any additional suggestions?
It's an issue with .26. Try if upgrading to mPlayer .27 helps. If not, downgrade to .24 (or what was the version before).

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Rhouge: there's a 5th Icon on the main menu : media servers : it's the upnp.

Unfortunately, I'm still having video/audio playback issues with choppy video and audio. I've tried uninstalling Canola with the Canola uninstall utility several times in a row, then rebooting, then installing everything again. It appears as though I have mPlayer .26 official verson from the extras repository. I don't have any devel grade repositories installed (as far as I can tell) and I have no idea how to remove python-launcher, or where it's located.
Well, what device are you using? and the most important, the viodes you try to play: do the play nicely in the default media player? or only in the standalone mplayer?

What music format are you using?

Maybe the problem isn't your installation:

a. you are using high quality vifdeos (that only standalone mplayer will play) and for now, until mplayer embedded mode is as good as standalone it will be choppy in higher quality. Solution for that; encode the videos with a lower resolution (it can be a good one, but not the best one supported by mplayer)

b. you are using also a music codec, only supported by mplayer with the same problem of too high quality.

So please try the following : get the basic n800 video and play it. does it play it choppy?

b. can you edit the atabake config file (please do a search in the forum) and set everything to OMS instead of mplayer to see if the still choppy.

Let me know your results..

I'm using a 770 with OS2006. Just updated. Canola begins to load and then goes into an endless "updating media library". Only way to stop it is to use the taskbar tool that allows one to "kill" a program.
It seems that we will not be able to support os2006 anymore. but you can still send us the debug message, running canola via xterm with -vvv as argument :

canola -vvv

Other thing : the only "supported" version for 770 will be the hacker edition.

Marcelo

I've had this issues since v8, but decided to wait until 9 to see if anything changed.I just ran through the sequence described in the forums for version 8 several times with v.9 and no luck. Any additional suggestions?
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

JOsiag :

Maybe one search is killing the device: can you do the following? uncheck some of the options : like folder and id3 and see if the hangs?

Also, if it doesn't, can you please go one by one on your covers (as it hangs on 2% may be on the first albums) to see what album gives you the trouble so you can send the files to us and we will be able to reproduce /fix the bug

Marcelo

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
Hiya Marcelo...

I installed/updated Canola Beta9 last night after I got home. The application upgrade went fine, and I also updated a few other programs that showed on the list (Personal Menu, gPodder, etc). The Personal Menu application suggested a reboot, so I shut the tablet down and rebooted.

I started up Canola briefly to see what was new/changed, and was anxious to play with the new UPNP plugin, so I exited Canola and fired up the Application Manager again. Tried to download the plugin multiple times (6 or 7) and it kept "hanging" with zero bytes transferred. Finally, shut down the tablet and rebooted, then tried to download the plugin, and it downloaded immediately on the first try.

So, I suspect that Canola is leaving something around in memory when it shuts down (it's not shutting down as cleanly as it appears to be, apparently).

Since I did finally get the UPNP plugin installed, I'll comment on that in the other thread...

Hiya Marcelo...

I installed/updated Canola Beta9 last night after I got home. The application upgrade went fine, and I also updated a few other programs that showed on the list (Personal Menu, gPodder, etc). The Personal Menu application suggested a reboot, so I shut the tablet down and rebooted.

I started up Canola briefly to see what was new/changed, and was anxious to play with the new UPNP plugin, so I exited Canola and fired up the Application Manager again. Tried to download the plugin multiple times (6 or 7) and it kept "hanging" with zero bytes transferred. Finally, shut down the tablet and rebooted, then tried to download the plugin, and it downloaded immediately on the first try.

So, I suspect that Canola is leaving something around in memory when it shuts down (it's not shutting down as cleanly as it appears to be, apparently).
It can be canola, it can be the other softwares you use
What we do after a canola shutdown : CanolaD keeps running for a couple of minutes, just to make sure if you closed accidentally or it crashed, you can re-start as fast as possible. After this 2 minutes I believe, the deamons are all killed and things should be clear. If you hadn't managed to install it I would have suggested that you wait 5 minutes. If it worked then.. it would be canola. If not then other software can also be blocking. But one point :

Canola NEVER interfers with the application installer. When you try to install something and it hangs, it's probably someone conflicting with app installer or the internet connection. We are really really reserved in using anything from the system. So we believe that it may be other component.

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
I've noticed a problem when I have more than a few videos in a folder (i.e. 4) there's no way that I can find to scroll down to select ones that aren't shown on the screen. I checked on the music list screen & I see the same issue, which makes sense 'cause it's probably the same code rendering the screen, just for different types of files. I can see a scrollbar appear for a second or two after the list is presented, but no matter what I do I can't activate it.

I think I found a reference to this issue in the beta 7 thread, but it's not clear to me that it is the same issue or not. Is there any work-around for this? tx
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Hi Grog :

so you actually dragged your finger (from the middle of the screen) towards the bottom and released (with enough pressure to generate events?)

And it didn';t work?

The scrollbar is not a scrollbar (as it barely has width for that) it's just a scrolling indicator.

I can say one thing: if scrolling was a bug, nobody would be able to use it because it's the basic interaction in the software : probably you have:

a. something blocking the events to get to canola
b. problematic screen (did you calibrated it)
c. been trying to use hardware (it doesn't work by now) it will work in the future thought.

If you have a 770 you may need to put MORE pressure, because the screen is not sensitive enough

Marcelo

The Following User Says Thank You to handful For This Useful Post: