Is there any information posted that walks some one who does not understand all the jargon used here (or explains it when it uses it) how to use a removable memory card in an 810? I assume from reading other posts here that this is cloning? but nowhere have I found an explanation that doesn't assume a good deal of familiarity with jargon and developing. I'd like to learn how to use this card to expand the capacity of my 810 but nothing I've read so far gives me a clear sense of how to proceed.

Sorry if I'm being dense.

Search for "cloning made easy" on the home page. And come back with specific questions.

I knew nothing about Linux or the N810 2 months ago but most of these tutorials are really easy.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Could you please be more specific? "Using" the memory card would simply be store files (music, videos, text documents...) on it.

"Cloning" is a very specific use of the memory card that uses it instead of the internal memory for the whole operating system.

Which do you want?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Which do you want?
Cloning.

Diesel, you're really out of your depth here. I'd recommend taking a step back and reevaluating if you're actually ready and willing to invest the time and energy it's likely to need. My guess is that no, you're not.

Originally Posted by Rassilon7 View Post
Search for "cloning made easy" on the home page. And come back with specific questions.

I knew nothing about Linux or the N810 2 months ago but most of these tutorials are really easy.
This cloning post is the one that I've reviewed but can't quite unpack all the new language to me and the options they imply. I'm left not being sure enough to move forward with confidence. That's why I requested an intermediate source for info. Tablet school was useful but basic...then one is left working with the forums which can be pretty sophisticated for some one not used to thinking about devices and software such as the 810.

But thank you...if my next step is to simply start asking questions at a minute level, I'll do that.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Cloning.

Diesel, you're really out of your depth here. I'd recommend taking a step back and reevaluating if you're actually ready and willing to invest the time and energy it's likely to need. My guess is that no, you're not.
Are you serious? What kind of crap advice is that? Is that actually helping the community grow? Why even waste a post with that?

Can we say...

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Could you please be more specific? "Using" the memory card would simply be store files (music, videos, text documents...) on it.

"Cloning" is a very specific use of the memory card that uses it instead of the internal memory for the whole operating system.

Which do you want?
My initial thought was to use the removable memory to store pictures, documents, and music. But I am quickly realizing that I may need that space to run/store the programs I am loading (very slowly and cautiously and only as I need them) onto my 810. So I'm just getting that there is a difference, what that might be, and that I might be able to figure out how to proceed.

But I'd like to better understand the implications of each...so again, I was looking for an intermediate source of information that might assist me to learn.

So the answer is, I'm not sure yet, but I think the latter.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Cloning.

Well, yes, I am. I am learning. And yes, I am a professional in another field (with its own jargon and complexity) with a family and a busy life so I don't have hours to do the resarch I'd like on this.

Nevertheless, I'm trying to figure this out, need a little intermediate help and information and thought asking might get me closer.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Charlotte, NC
Diesel....

I think you are not interested in the cloning option at this time. Cloning is using your memory card to boot the operating system. From your posts, I believe you have questions about using the memory card for storage.

Your tablet has some internal memory and then you can use the external card to store more data/movies/music/etc. You need to be careful that you do not fill up the internal memory with programs and files because maxing out that memory can give you some problems (I have never done this, but I believe you have to re-flash your tablet to fix it).

I generally load my data to my external memory cards, and have some programs on the internal memory. I am not certain if there is a "best practices" way to do this, but I am sure that others have a scheme of their own for data and program storage.

Hope this helps.

ET

Last edited by eetimm; 2008-12-08 at 15:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to eetimm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
My initial thought was to use the removable memory to store pictures, documents, and music.
Just to get this one out of the way:
Insert card. It should show up in the file manager (and in windows that ask you to select files/folders) automatically. You can just move your documents there from the pre-defined standard folders, create your own folder structure etc. etc.

There's nothing special to it, it works the same way as on your desktop. Plus: It will, of course, free up space on the internal memory which in turn becomes available for installing applications.

I'd very much doubt that you have problems with this approach.

Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
But I am quickly realizing that I may need that space to run/store the programs I am loading (very slowly and cautiously and only as I need them) onto my 810. So I'm just getting that there is a difference, what that might be, and that I might be able to figure out how to proceed.
This is, indeed, the more interesting part. Not only will it give you more memory to install applications, it will also speed up things. Internal memory has a compressed file system, like a large ZIP file. While this is good in terms of storage space, the downside is that things become slower (again, like with a ZIP-file that needs to be unZIPped first).

This thread is a more in depth discussion, this one offers an easy, automated solution. The results should be more or less the same.

The only thing I'm not sure of is:
If you don't yet know exactly what you need and why... And if you're not yet a semi-expert on the tablet so you can easily fix things just in case something goes wrong... And if you don't yet run out of space on your internal memory... Will it be worth it?

I'd personally recommend you'd stay with the current setup until you know what's important for you, what you use your tablet for, what eats memory and what doesn't.
It might be that you find out the coolest thing is to have a collection of SD-cards full of video files and pick one or two for each journey... If this is what you'll use your tablet for in the future, cloning to external memory is more or less out of the question (or at least useless) unless you clone to all SD-cards you'll ever use in advance. (Just an example)

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post: