This is a strange problem. I woke up this morning to find my n9 frozen on the totally non-responsive icon menu homescreen. Long-pressing the power button didn't turn off the device.

The homescreen was odd looking because the status bar was completely gone.

I unplugged the phone and waited to see what would happen when the screen timed out at 3 minutes (i.e. the duration where I have the time-out feature set). The time-out caused the entire screen to go totally blank, though normally it would be my low-power screen with Billboard, Meecast widget, and time.

Even more strangely, without touching anything, the device woke itself up in about 15 seconds and went back to the non-responsive icon menu homescreen. If I leave it alone, it goes through the cycle of frozen homescreen for 3 minutes to blank screen for 15-20 seconds, back to frozen homescreen. Sort of like the reboot-loop, but without rebooting.

The other odd thing is that the phone is not dead. I have Shake to Light, which activates the torch when you shake the phone, and that works fine. I also have Easy Answer, where you can answer the N9 by holding it to your ear, and that also works fine, so my N9 is alive in there somewhere! If I place a call to my phone, the usual Call UI pops up, but the on-screen buttons don't work--I have to use Easy Answer, which uses the accelerometer.

When in the Call-UI, the quick-launch menu will activate with a swipe from the bottom (so there is some screen touch recognition during the call), but the on-screen shortcuts do not work and accessing the normal launcher doesn't work. :-(

Does anyone have a good way to get my N9 to turn off? My power button can usually turn on the phone when it is off, but does not turn off the phone--even with long press.

I have considered flashing my rootfs, but I'm not sure how this loop issue might screw with those efforts. I have also considered letting the power run down to cause a shutdown, but since flashing recommends having at least 50% power, I'm not too thrilled with that option either.

I have a Windows 7 PC, but connecting my N9 via USB does not show the device. Nokia Suite couldn't find it either when it was plugged in by the USB cable.

I do have admin privileges with the router the N9 is on, and I know the N9's root password, but SSH isn't set up on the device (though if someone could clue me into a way to do it, that'd be great).

Please Help!

The Following User Says Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Well, what I would do is let the battery die, then see if u can turn it on again and diagnose.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
could you check if your power wasn't an issue? Flasher needs 11% to charge not 50% btw...

Can you try plugging in to a power outlet and long pressing (8-10secs) the power button to switch it off?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
could you check if your power wasn't an issue? Flasher needs 11% to charge not 50% btw...

Can you try plugging in to a power outlet and long pressing (8-10secs) the power button to switch it off?
I attempted that, but had no luck. My N9 has had an issue with being able to use the long-press power button to force it to turn off for some time. I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software issue.

I can't say exactly how much power the phone has because of the status bar issue, but every time it times-out, the notification light breathes like it's charging as normal. I have also turned it face-down so it should have enough battery.

Do you think that putting it into R&D mode, like you've recommended for those suffering from reboot loop would help?

The Following User Says Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:
Yup try R&D mode

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ VENEZUELA
RD-mode has saved me on several occasions, by damaging files as meegotouchhome.css and statusarea.css
It would not hurt to try that.
Just remember that you install applications lately, of course, being a software problem.

Sorry for my English.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guillermorojaz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Yup try R&D mode
This is my first R&D mode experience. I did a fresh download and install of WinFlasher 3.12.1 from the official mirror site.

I attached my n9 to my computer via USB cable.

I ran this command after changing the directory in the Windows CMD prompt to the proper folder: flasher --enable-rd-mode --set-rd-flags=no-lifeguard-reset

I am getting hung up with this message: "Suitable USB interface <bootloader/phonet> not found, waiting . . ."

My N9 has been invisible to my computer since this problem arose. Do you or anyone else have any suggestions that I should try?

Don't attach the N9 to your PC first; let that suitable device message come first then attach it

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
I suppose that we can mark this one as solved. I decided to play with my E7 last night and let the N9 run down its battery, forcing a power down. It worked like a charm and it's up and running again like normal.

Thanks for all of the help and support, everyone.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Nigeria
lol this happened to me twice first was solved with a power down but the 2nd tym the phone went off but the notification light stayed on,,,imagine waiting for a power down on the notification light alone.