Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
There are threads now about merchandise for the summit.... I understand we had T-shirts and stuff for other occasions before.

Is there any more generic maemo.org-shop I missed so far? You know, items that weren't designed for a specific occasion, but just are general maemorabilia? T-shirts, yes, but also mugs, mousepads, key fobs,....

If there isn't (and I believe there isn't, otherwise it should be linked from maemo.org ), why not have one?

You know, I could get the logo and have it printed on a mousepad anywhere here in town, but personally I'd prefer the convenience of professionally designed items in an online shop.

Or am I alone with my urge to spend money on useless toys?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
I can relate to that

The Following User Says Thank You to fredoll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Anyone willing to organise it and investigate the issues? Where does the money go? Who does the designs? Who admins the shop?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I would plow profits into the developer pool (fund) that some have suggested, and then establish a distribution process (karma? voting? lottery? etc) for dispersal.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I like the idea of such a shop, but I don't see how it would work. The council and/or maemo.org paid employees shouldn't be asked to run such a venture, and while it's a nice concept to, say, raise funds to sponsor additional people to additional events, managing and accounting for such money would easily become a real headache for the council.

If someone can outline a workable system, I'm all for it though.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I have to say I'm of the same mind as Gadsby. It sounds like a great idea but logistics could be problematic...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I actually doubt there'll be money in the end to talk about. If it's the maemo.org store and not the shining Maemo 5 and N900 store, that is. (And I'd much rather have the maemo.org mug, please.)

It might be enough for free pizza at summits, but maybe not even that.

The only possible way to organize it would be to find a place like http://www.cafepress.com/ that ships worldwide. (In fact, cafepress.com does ship worldwide, I just don't know if there are better alternatives.) Then we'd have to agree on somebody the community trusts to handle the financial aspect - which probably only means "run the account on cafepress.com/wherever under your own name and take the money to the summit".

Designs should be decided upon the same way it's done now for the summit merchandise.

If one day there's money left after the pizzas, one could always use it for sponsoring. I remember occasions when N8x0-developers couldn't easily test their own backported applications because they didn't have a 770. This money could be used for just that, while older generations of hardware are still available. (Nokia would probably not run a developer program for old hardware when they try to sell new devices ...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
maybe i could help to distribute in germany.

edit: I'm currently learning as a wholesale and export clerk. So I could use this as a project to gain more experience and respect at my work... ;-)

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2009-09-07 at 18:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I say let me sell the Maemo stuff to fund my N900/N910/Symbian^4 device purchases. LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Platania (CZ), ITALY
Could create an international team that handles the shop maemo.
designs will be created by user maemo and may be accepted by all from time to time with surveys.
the money will go into a fund maemo that can be used for various activities of maemo
email: antoniodicello[at]gmail[dot]com
blog: http://rafanto.net

The Following User Says Thank You to rafanto For This Useful Post: