Auto mount SD card to the desktop.
ie icon that appears on the desktop as soon as sd card is inserted for easy access.

Mike C

How about pervasive ssh support? I have stuff spread all over my various systems, and access to them would be great.

Also, real contacts. Phone, email, address, etc.

Printing support? Printing to a network printer would be nice.

How about the ability to bind any keysyms to buttons on-screen (I'm looking at *you*, xterm!) and on free on-screen keyboard keys.

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
there is one widget i would like...know "Notes" in Windows Vista/7 ?
that's what i would need...some clipnotes widget where i could write down a few things, like reminders what to do...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Snapshotting / 'Time Machine' for Maemo, so one can play and screw the OS while not being without a phone for too long.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Don't know if it's already in but I thought about it in the Maemo 6 UI Framework thread.

A mouse like option in the entire OS, not just in the browser.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Is there anyway to "overhaul" the keyboard software? Not just to modify it to make it more user friendly, but to be able to extend the functionality quite further than that (the existing solution seems somewhat limited/difficult to modify for a beginning user).

Things that would work excellently for a new keyboard system:
- (as mentioned previously): profiles, which could be saved and activated/switched to with a taskbar app
- drag and drop keyboard rearranging support
(just drag keys to new locations/remove keys you don't want/add keys you do)
- extensive themes, not just for aesthetic purposes, but also for user personalization
(eg. a user is used to the android/ipod/any other phone onscreen keyboard could get a "theme" that just reorders the keys and changes the look to match the keyboard they are used to). This would help the user feel at "home" with the device much quicker than having to readjust to how to type on the n900.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Snapshotting / 'Time Machine' for Maemo, so one can play and screw the OS while not being without a phone for too long.
and move the root partition to zfs while we're at it
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
A true Time Machine solution would introduce a lot of overhead and add more architectural changes than would be advisable, however having alarmd run an rsync every 24 hours or so should be easy.

Originally Posted by elimoon8 View Post
Is there anyway to "overhaul" the keyboard software? Not just to modify it to make it more user friendly, but to be able to extend the functionality quite further than that (the existing solution seems somewhat limited/difficult to modify for a beginning user).
All of these are possible, just need to find people willing to work on them.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
NILFS, rather.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
A true Time Machine solution would introduce a lot of overhead and add more architectural changes than would be advisable, however having alarmd run an rsync every 24 hours or so should be easy.
Hmm, but then its rather difficult to roll back.

Instead of Time Machine with its GUI and backing up of personal data I mean something like incremental images. They can be made every X hours, or before big changes (manual by user, or auto by e.g. APT). ZFS snapshotting or ODS-2/5 versioning filesystem provide one part of the feature. The boot loader would then simply allow one to use the snapshot (or previous version if was primary at $date_of_snapshot).

I don't know how many resources (or how much time) this would cost. On battery, might no be preferred.