Hi,

I am trying to run an Adobe Flex application that is served on a simple HTTPServer that I have written in python. The issue with Adobe Flex applications is that they request a crossdomain.xml file, if the application and the server from Flex content are not on the same domain. There are issues with serving out this file, and hence, I have put all the content on the machine that runs both client and server.

I serve the application straight out of 127.0.0.1, and I put 127.0.0.1 in the address bar, when I call the client application. In my Flex file, I have also linked the HTTPService to 127.0.0.1. I have removed all abstractions that map 127.0.0.1 to localhost in /etc/hosts. So as far as any application is concerned, all content are being served to and requested from 127.0.0.1. However, even so, the Nokia N800 thinks that 127.0.0.1 is on a different domain than 127.0.0.1. I am guessing some other abstraction is happening that makes it seem that the content is being served from a different location.

I have tested the program that I have written under mac os, linux, and windows. It works on all platforms, and I use the address 127.0.0.1 across all platforms. It even works with the abstraction of localhost on all machines. So it seems the problem is something related to how the n800 handles it.

Sorry for the really long explanation. Hopefully, the details are useful. Any and all help are appreciated.

Thanks,
sma

If you set up your tablet to connect to itself in adhoc mode, it should set your IP address as 127.0.0.1 . Though, I am running lighttpd on my tablet, and whether I am on a real connection or on an local adhoc one, both localhost and 127.0.0.1 work.

The Following User Says Thank You to hordeman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Hi sma,
I'm curious as to why you went about writing an entire webserver in Python when there are already lots of very capable pieces of software out there to do just this... but anyways, in my experience with Flash (both Flex and Flash directly) 1) That stupid cross domain thing that they added recently has been the biggest piece of junk ever thought up... lol that's just my oppinion though... but more importantly, it's a heck of a lot easier to actually just make a crossdomain.xml file and serve it up than it is to try and get things to line up properly without it as inevitably even if you get everything setup with localhost, different flash implementations and browsers don't necessarily agree and play nicely with just what constitutes a "localhost" domain. In the long run you're better off solving your problem of how to serve the crossdomain file than you are trying to nitpick with a specific domain restriction for what it sounds like you're trying to do (I imagine you'll probably end up wanting to deal with some other XML files and things down the road anyways right?).

Thanks,
-Rob