Notices

I've been toying arround with uboot, meego and multiboot lately so in the proccess i lost the default kernel.
Device is still working properly but i can only boot power46.

I have tried to manually add an entry for the default kernel to multiboot but without success.

Note: I'm trying to do this ON device without using PC.

What i have done is

wget http://repository.maemo.org/pool/mae...+0m5_armel.deb

extract the zImage with:
dpkg-deb -x kernel_2.6.28-20103103+0m5_armel.deb

Then i copy the extracted zImage to /boot and /multiboot

rename the one in /multiboot to vmilinuz-2.6.28-omap

add a corresponding .item entry in /etc/multiboot.d

Reboot the device, select the maemo-omap entry but i get kernel panic, same with pressing 0.

I am not a linux guru by any means but i think that is not the correct image format for multiboot. If so, what is the correct image format, where can i get the default kernel image for multiboot or how can i create it?

Thanks

Last edited by Daneel; 2011-04-28 at 02:43.

preess 0 at boot. Ie the "p" key

Maybe i wasn't clear enough.

Reboot the device, select the maemo-omap entry but i get kernel panic, same with pressing 0.
aka the "P" key

Can anyone at least point me to a detailed documentation source on Multiboot?

Hi, I had problem with multiboot too, i find a problem, perhaps it's the same for you.

multiboot script check /lib/modules/xxxxx directory before booting, if the dir is not found, then it say "unable to find kernel"

If i understand what you did, you have added new kernel and created .item entry but you did not create module dir so it crash

To resolve this, boot with an other kernel (with multiboot or flasher) and create the directory /lib/module/2.6.28-omap for me it work fine

P.S. the name of the directory MUST be the same as your kernel name

That is the kind of information i am looking for.
Thanks Xaxe, i will give it a shot!

That was the missing igredient. Thanks again Xaxe!

So to sum up, if you have lost your original kernel from the mulitboot menu or you want to add it to your multiboot menu you can just extract image from the maemo kernel deb as described in my first post but make sure you get the name exactly the same as the kernel modules directory in /lib/modules . All done on device.

Posts: 855 | Thanked: 612 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
The easiest way(which helped me!) click the Deinstall-Kernel button. It'll install the default kernel, and then install power-kernel again with multiboot-kernel-power, multiboot-kernel-maemo

Yes, that works too, but i wanted to get down and dirty