Notices

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
First, what is Rockbox?
Rockbox (WIKI) is an audio player available in the repositories (extras-devel, usual warnings apply, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=66896)

In my own opinion, it is the best audio player feature wise: gapless playback, crossfading, 10-band fully customizable equalizer that does not impact on performance as much as other players, crossfeed and a lot more. As usual, it supports tons of file types.

But I always found the default UI quite unfriendly for touch use.

NEW UPDATE V0.3!
CHANGED THE EQ TOGGLE(didn't work) TO A PITCH BUTTON!

ROCKN900 Skin

So I started by checking out the original code from cabbiev2, checked rockbox theme documentation, and after 4 days I managed to create my first skin.

(these images below don't have the pitch button that was in v0.3, because they're old. everything else is the same)
WPS

SBS - 1st: Main Menu - 2nd: File Browser

WPS

How to use it?
Now, the following images will show you what happens when you touch on the yellow rectangles:
WPS

To stop playback, you have to long press the play/pause button (middle one, right bar) - This will also leave WPS, directing you to the SBS main menu.
To rewind/fast forward, either use the progress bar, or long press the PREV / NEXT button. This ONLY works when you're in the WPS.

SBS

Sometimes, you might need to press "WPS SCREEN" button twice to reach WPS. This happens when you're in the Settings menu, for example.
This theme includes an AA .fnt for rockbox: 40 Ubuntu [Regular]

How to install it?
  • Download it and extract the content to "/opt/rockbox/share/rockbox" using whatever you prefer (filebox, terminal, winscp...)
  • Open Rockbox, go to Settings > Theme Settings > Browse Theme Files > rockn900.cfg
LATEST VERSION:

Download rockn900_v0.3.zip

This one is old... don't use it!
Download rockn900_v0.2.zip

Done!
Final notes: Yes, I know that the images explaining how to use the skin are a bit ridiculous - but at least they are "idiot proof", I hope.

19:48 <Remi-X>: my name is fry and im shy
19:48 <Remi-X>: sh*t how can i even say something that dumb

Last edited by RiD; 2014-08-11 at 12:34.

The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to RiD For This Useful Post:
Good work! I'll give it a try tomorrow to see if it good for me, I remember having try rockbox but I didn't like it, but maybe it'll change now, I'll give you some feedback.

The Following User Says Thank You to phap For This Useful Post:
I just noticed that the EQ button does not work. It sets it ON and OFF correctly, but rockbox does not verify that data. This seems rockbox specific. Only when going to Settings -> Sound Settings -> Equalizer - > Enable EQ -> then clicking back. This will update the EQ status.
In short words, the EQ button is useless at this moment.

Sorry about that, will see if there's anything to make it work. If not, then I will either remove the button in a future update or change it to something else that might be of good use.

Last edited by RiD; 2013-03-26 at 23:15.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RiD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 39 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Germany
AWESOME!
thank you thank you thank you!

The Following User Says Thank You to wokawoka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Thanks, nice theme!
No problems so far, but I would change the font to something more N900-ish. Does anyone know what is the name of the default Fremantle font and if it can be loaded from Rockbox?
EDIT: It would make more sense if it could load current system theme colors/fonts.

Uploading to extras-devel would be nice too.

Last edited by nodevel; 2013-03-27 at 09:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
... I don't why I didn't like rockbox. Your theme make it much more easier do things fast. I just changed the fonts, perfect for me. Thank you again.

The Following User Says Thank You to phap For This Useful Post:
I attached a rockbox compatible fnt: 35 Nokia Sans [Regular]

This is the best I could do, the space between words is too small though, that's why I didn't include it in the theme.

Oh, and to install, just extract it to "/opt/rockbox/share/rockbox/fonts/"

EDIT:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
It would make more sense if it could load current system theme colors/fonts.
Uploading to extras-devel would be nice too.
Rockbox ".fnt" files are not the same as the ones used in maemo, windows, etc (ttf, otf, etc) They have to be converted using some utilities that are explained in rockbox wiki (the actual rockbox wiki, not ours), so I can't make it load the current system fonts.

As of uploading to extras-devel, I might do that, but I have no idea how and currently it's not my priority. If anyone is willing to help me on that, contact me
Attached Files
File Type: zip 35 Nokia Sans [Regular].zip (27.5 KB, 484 views)

Last edited by RiD; 2013-03-27 at 15:46.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RiD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
Awesome skin! Brings RockBox closer to Maemo look

The Following User Says Thank You to iceskateclog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Mandaluyong City, Philippines
Thanks for the skin! Makes rockbox look a lot more consistent with the phone now.
Dunno if it's just me or so, but I seem to have trouble scrolling menus. It's like I do a swipe but the menu acts as if I'm holding the scrollbar. I've had this trouble with cabbiev2 also but the issue seems to be a bit more pronounced here, or maybe it was just coincidence.
Any thoughts?

The Following User Says Thank You to g.jie For This Useful Post:
@g.jie you mean, sometimes when you're going to start swiping, the stuff changes position, sometimes it "snaps" a few pixels down or up? If yes, then that's a bit common on Rockbox - it does not use any scrolling mechanism from maemo, it uses it's own, so I can't do anything. About the issue being more pronounced on this skin, I have no idea - might be just your head or a coincidence.

The Following User Says Thank You to RiD For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, rockbox, skins, theme