Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Jim Zemlin (the Executive Director of the Linux Foundation ) wrote a good critical piece on Linux.com about the shortcomings of current Linux offerings.

The Linux ecosystem needs to do better competing on “magic.”

This is not to say that there aren’t projects and products in the Linux that are innovative and focused on creating a magical user experience. A few that spring to mind:

- The clutter UI project is advancing the state of the art in Linux-based desktops
- Android-based phones like the Droid or the Nexus One are getting close to the “magic” of the iPhone
- Moblin-based notebooks and tablet devices that are in development
- The Ubuntu projects recent focus on usability and user experience
- The Palm Pre and their Linux-based smart phones
- Nokia’s Maemo project and the N900

The issue is that while all of these are incredible efforts, Steve Jobs is hardly standing still. We have to do better.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Virginia
You're right we should make our own slate and design a brand new shiny UI with multi-touch, who's in?

Actually that sounds really fun, however impossibly hard, time consuming, and expensive it may be in reality. I'll let the big companies deal with bringing the magic, I'm just here to enjoy it and possibly help make it better with plenty of commentary.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I think that is very wise indeed. As a 'normal user' I've stayed away from all things linux thinking it was far too complex for me. N900 has convinced me otherwise: for the ordinary user, provided we get continue to stock extras and ovi, there would be no need to do anything with n900 beyond the user interface (yes, I know, one might choose to). And n900 does work like magic, apart from a few features which are still being worked on.

I'm still a little unconvinced whether I'd ant ubuntu on a device I make a lot of use of because it has that 'too complicated' assoication in my head.

I think Maemo is doing well with its current focus on UI - that's where Apple really, really excels. You need more bears in the system to say "That's easy" or "That's clunky" about the UI.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
The problem extends well beyond the UI. One of the reasons that many netbooks are moving to Windows is because the perception of consumers who were used to Windows on laptops and desktops was that Linux was cheap in the sense of low priced but also limited because of that. There are many Linux apps that have a UI which can best be described as bare bones. There are many others that are or look unfinished. Few (relatively speaking) are polished, much less magic. This is most apparent in the gaming arena. There is nothing I have found in the Linux world to compare to the current class of Windows games such as Dragon Age Origins or even leading Windows games from several years ago.

I would see the problem as stemming from the FOSS model. Unfortunately, UI development is boring and time consuming. Commercial vendors can devote resources to it in anticipation of recouping their investment in sales. Independent programmers have to be self-motivated. Of the efforts mentioned in the original article, I would see Android as by far the most significant, not because of the OS's UI but because it is attracting commercial development through the app store.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
whats basically needed is a massive press event where someone walks up on stage and shows people exactly what they can use product X for, in a step by step manner, without it being a out and out training session.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Great article... and I agree with tso.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by tso View Post
whats basically needed is a massive press event where someone walks up on stage and shows people exactly what they can use product X for, in a step by step manner, without it being a out and out training session.
Perhaps Mark Shuttleworth could perform this function? He had a lot to say about this recently.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The only thing Linux really suffers from is the effective FUD campaigning of competitors.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ CT, USA
Linux as a technology is very competitive. It's the implementation of it that needs to catch up. The software needs to be organized around the hardware and tightly coupled to services. That's what Apple is. The iphone/ipad, the iphone os, and itunes + Apple app store. It's all integrated, that's the magic. I can't see anything inherently preventing Google/nexus/Android or Nokia/n-series/OVI from surpassing Apple in this regard. They have the resources, they just need the direction.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chowdahhead For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Good article. Nokia heard this rant a few years back (and oft-times on this forum). They've made progress, wonder what will be next...