Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
I just got myself the HTC Universal 64, and this is what I call the ultimate HACKERS device.

Why? It can run triple-boot: Windows Mobile, Debian Linux and Android.

I got myself one from a friend's scrap box. It's in good shape but right now I can't start it up because it wasn't charged for over 2 years. I've got a red flashing LED, meaning that or the battery is dead, or there is not enough enough power to start-up the device.

Once I'll get this out of the way, what's the next thing to do with a Linux device.

I need something to fill up my time, and I will share my work in this thread with each and every one of you.

Also, if no one knows this device:

That's the size of it compared with my my HTC Desire HTC (yes, I am that dumb, I could've compared it with the N900...)

The keyboard is much better than the N900 (since some of you said that there is nothing better than the N900's keyboard). The CPU is INTEL X-Scale (520Mhz - up to 1.0Ghz), yes, the ram is lower than the N900's but it can be ugraded, the ROM is smaller that the N900, but here you go, the ONLY device that can properly replace your N900. Ohh yeah. It's 2005.

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Of course it can't replace the N900.

Have you really spent time with the N900? Doesn't seem that you have..

Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
Of course it can't replace the N900.

Have you really spent time with the N900? Doesn't seem that you have..
Please post a real statement why this can't replace the N900. This is not enough.

I spent enough time with both devices and except the ROM capacity and RAM it can easily replace the N900 with some good hacking skills.

This device is even more easy to hack since the motherboard is just 1 layer PCB (not multi-layer as the N900).

Ram can be added by adding 2 extra memory chips (read XDA wiki for exact model).

The battery is bigger and lasts longer, because it's bigger. You have IrDA port, Wi-Fi, bluetooth. Uses generic mini-USB cable. You don't need to worry that the flex might break since this device doesn't use a flex. Can run Android. Can run FULL DEBIAN LINUX.

Only things missing from the N900 is the following: camera (it's just 1.3 mpx), light sensor, proximity sensor and GPS, and trust me, on a HACKER device, those are just useless.

Now having all the facts right in front of you, continuing this discussion will just mean that you are a troll.

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by PurpleXS8 View Post
Only things missing from the N900 is the following:
The N900...

Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
The N900...
This thread is about a device that can REPLACE the N900, not a "worship the N900" thread. I just presented a device that can do whatever the N900 does with a few useless functions missing.

Next time I see a reply like this I will report the person for trolling.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
is the ir useable ?? How about wifi can it theater to androids an adhoc how is perfomance and any apps get updates nowadays

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
oh yes, I am a troll.. thanks for clarifying that.

Doesn't change the fact that this fossil cannot replace the N900 though.

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
is the ir useable ?? How about wifi can it theater to androids an adhoc how is perfomance and any apps get updates nowadays
Well, the IrDA is fully usable. Wi-Fi is tether on Windows Mobile 6.5 OS and Android OS (I did not test this on Debian Linux yet). The performance is good with only 64MB (this is the current RAM I have, but I will order 2 new Infineon RAM chips for upgrade when I'm going to order the eMMC chip for the Desire HD). The only issue with this device is the internal memory, which is low (128MB, but due to extensive development this problem was solved and now the OS can eat up all the 128MB and the SD card is used for the rest). 32GB SDHC Class10 works well on this device (since the other user had a card like that inside). About the apps... No it won't get any software we normally use nowadays, but with development you can easily make ports of the apps (most of them are found on XDA).

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
I do believe this thread does not belong to this part of the area on the forum. First off, it has nothing to do with nokia and its own ranges of devices let alone it is an accessory that can be attached/connected to maemo in some way.

Just because it can run debian and/or android does not necessarily mean that it is a maemo device but rather an old maemo competitor.

If you look at the specs of the HTC Universal on the wikipedia you would have noticed that by comparing with N900. There still are far more lacking features that N900 has which your HTC Universal does not have.read here. Note: gsmarena website does not keep an up-to-date information about what N900 could still be capable of, e.g. no FM transmitter when N900 does have one and that N900 can support SDXC 64GB memory (with latest updates).

Besides, I'm sure your HTC Universal does not even offer more direct access to some of its underlying hardware components when compared to N900. Most of which may still be proprietary (not even using debian for example can unlock it). For instance:
- Is the wireless chipset natively supported under linux and that you can use latest mac80211 framework on it?
- What about direct access to DSP components so that you can for example tune the onboard camera to get the best effects? or even say for example overclocking it so that you can watch 720P?

Oh wait, I hear its 2005, specifically Q3 2005. The only comparable device from maemo range would have been nokia 770 internet tablet. Even at that the 770 supports 802.11 b/g mode (as opposed to strictly 802.11b), it has USB hostmode (non-powered, and as opposed to only user mode), it has the same amount of internal RAM and flash memory sized restrictions (not talking about extended storage such as SD/MMC). Sure the 770 lacks phone capabilities, it still is superior in other ways compared to HTC Universal which were released months later and most of all the entire maemo series never ran on android nor windows mobile by default.

Tags
best device, device, hacker, htc universal, ultimate