Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
Since Maps.me use now Apache 2.0 license, would be great to have a SailfishOS native version. It uses Qt5. Maybe some benevolent developer would like to work on this...

https://github.com/mapsme/omim

Last edited by malkavian; 2015-10-14 at 08:51. Reason: Correct "wishlist" spelling. I wrote "whislist"

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to malkavian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
Since Maps.me use now Apache 2.0 license, would be great to have a SailfishOS native version. It uses Qt5. Maybe some benevolent developer would like to work on this...

https://github.com/mapsme/omim
i don't suppose it uses standard pbf downloads from planet.osm by any chance?

that would be awesome.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
It seems they provide only iOS and Android app, that means (correct me if I'm wrong) a whole port is needed to run on SFOS. But yes, that would be great.

Originally Posted by romu View Post
It seems they provide only iOS and Android app, that means (correct me if I'm wrong) a whole port is needed to run on SFOS. But yes, that would be great.
I quickly skimmed through the repo and it seems the Android version just uses the underlying Qt5 structure and I guess iOS does the same. So in that way it is not a "complete" port but rather an adaption.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to luke_dirtwalker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Good news! Coders, start your keyboards!! :-D

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by otsaloma View Post
That repo is by file count and file size perhaps the biggest I've seen apart from the Linux kernel. It would take a year of research just to understand what the codebase is composed of.
Maybe they are just bundling half of the Internet in their repo so that people need to install less stuff when building/installing their application ?

Many projects do this, especially since mobile platforms effectively encourage it...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:

Tags
free software, offline maps, open source, openstreetmap, sailfishos