Anyone know of an external battery powered battery charger for portable devices I can buy online? I've seen similar devices for charging cell phones (ie, put a pair of rechargable batteries into the unit, plug your usb device into it, and it charges your mobile device), and had a 4 cell version for a while (until I killed it), but now I need a new one, and few people have anything except the dedicated ones which have the battery built in.

The idea is that I want to be able to charge my N810 (and other usb enabled devices) on the road, or in an airplane using the charger. I've got a 21hr flight (yes, 21 hours from LA to Tokyo) and the chances of my battery surviving the whole flight is about as good as a snowball surviving in a bonfire.

So anyone who would happen to have a link to one of these, it would be ever so helpful. I have 2500ma AA rechargables I'll be using with it.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
google search this forum for dealextreme
PLEASE use the Wiki

One or two Tekkeon models (mp1550, maybe?) are widely recommended. They've been discussed and benchmarked a lot, so search around.

I recently purchased this one for $35USD http://www.tekkeon.com/products-tekcharge1800.html from Newegg but it doesn't appear to be available on the Newegg site anymore.

An important point to this power pack is that it comes with 7 different adapter tips including the one needed for the N800! No need to spend $30USD on the official Nokia one.

The powerpack is rated for 4000mAh, is roughly the size of a credit card and an inch thick. It has an odd curve to the body that makes it a little thicker. It will only charge off the computer USB port. I tried using a cheap 120V to USB plug but it doesn't seem to take a charge, must be too high a current. When charging off the computer it can take a while to charge, up to 8 hours if fully discharged.

With it plugged into the N800 I used it on a trip to Europe recently and was able to watch videos sitting around the airport and for the whole plane trip (+10 hours total), no WiFi of course. I still hadn't dented the battery indicator.

I also purchased a portable hard drive case at Target for $10USD and I can fit the N800, battery pack, headphones, N800 charger, USB charging cable plus tips and a short USB to miniUSB cable. It makes a really nice kit.

At some point I want to do a run down test to see how long it will play videos w/headphones before dying and a run down test of active WiFi. When I get to that I will post the results.

I originally bought a Black and Decker power BRICK from Buy.com for $10USD but haven't used it since it is only rated for 1200mAh, is the size of a thin paperback book, is weighty and didn't come with any adapter for charging the N800. I will probably break it out for a car trip but nothing when traveling light is important.

Cheers

Thanks for the links, but the tekkeon units are battery packs. I want a unit you can actually toss a set of DoubleA batteries into as it allows me a bit more flexibility than a battery pack can.

But one of the links pointed me towards the key phrase "battery extender" which has actually netted me a much larger list of possibilities.

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Central Illinois
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Thanks for the links, but the tekkeon units are battery packs. I want a unit you can actually toss a set of DoubleA batteries into as it allows me a bit more flexibility than a battery pack can.

But one of the links pointed me towards the key phrase "battery extender" which has actually netted me a much larger list of possibilities.
I think the Tekkeon TekCharge MP1550 is the type of thing you are looking for. I love mine. It takes either 2 or 4 AA batteries. It also takes rechargeable batteries and can charge those batteries (using something like the myCharger MP1600) by plugging into the provided mini USB port. Using the MP1550 and 4 AA eneloop batteries, I've powered my N800, NDS Lite, Razr V3, and Palm TX (but not at the same time, mind you). Tekkeon has a large variety of extra connectors that work with their products.

(Standard disclaimer: I don't work for Tekkeon nor own any stock. I just like their products.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terrencegf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i think i read that duracell would be selling something like this soon.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Amsterdam
Take a look at this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SCE4...ef=pd_sbs_ce_3

(Amazon UK)

I did buy in February the Philips SCE4420/10 - Power4Life Rechargeable PowerPack up to 5V without a charger because I can charge it with my TomTom 110V/220 V charger. There are everal types however. Secured for overcharing, Input is 5 V, controlled 5 V output etc.

Also usable for nokia phones, navigation gear (my TomTom) photo cameras etc. Anything that runs up to 5 V

Im my experience good for 20 hours internet / e-mail; or 5 / 6 hours of video; or 3 hours of wifi streaming video. (or a a full day of biking with my TomTom)

Philips says 3 days.

Abel.
Attached Images

Last edited by AbelMN; 2008-08-07 at 10:01. Reason: typo's

I ended up grabbing the MP1550 since it appears fairly rugged and is powered by 4 AA batteries.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
seems the philips power4life is named power2go in some parts of the world.