Notices

tried to download http://ugz.ath.cx:1415/knots_win.zip but it's not there
i really would like to test this

thanks for any help

i think ukki got some hosting troubles, so i mirrored his latest knots server for Windows here. (25,4 MB, MD5: 9e53939e5a1d4e83792278e8a0e037f1)

So the way to get the Server up and running on Windows is:
- Install VLC for Windows: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html
- Install git for windows: http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/downloads/list
- open a command prompt (i think that's the way you windows users call it ) and run these commands:
Code:
cd c:\
git clone git://github.com/solmis/knots.git
- download the server package: http://mtron.mine.nu/files/knots/knots_win.zip
- Unzip it somewhere (not c:\)
- copy the "ruby" folder and "run.cmd" to c:\knots.
- copy win32/sqlite3.dll to Windows\System32 Directory with administrator rights.
- Double click on "c:\knots\run.cmd" to start the server.

After you're done be sure to close the window with ctrl-c, otherwise VLC is left running.

OSX + Linux users can use git to grab the latest server release. (see the Knots2 wiki page)

The latest Version of the Knots N8x0 Client (Version 0.2.6) should be in extras-devel Repository soon. (Don't use version 0.2.5.. it's broken)

Hope this helps!

Last edited by mtron; 2009-11-11 at 21:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to mtron For This Useful Post:
Thanks! Got the server working now.

Originally Posted by mtron View Post
The latest Version of the Knots N8x0 Client (Version 0.2.6) should be in extras-devel Repository soon. (Don't use version 0.2.5.. it's broken)
Sounds like i have to wait a little longer

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Portland, OR
Hello,

Just started using Knots a week ago, and after a week of tweaking it works like a dream. Exactly what I've been needing! Now I have time to knock out some of my unwatched video clutter on my computer!

For reference, I'm running Sabayon 4 (Gentoo) and I have an N800, pre-Diablo on wifi fios. I started with 0.2.5(no issues) and upgraded to 0.2.6 after a fresh mplayer reinstall on my tablet. I did end up recompiling ffmpeg and vlc to get it going. The ffmpeg in the portage tree compiled with the recommended flags did the job, but I had to compile vlc by hand. After that I had all transcoding profiles working.

I even have the DVD setting installed and I'm really impressed. I pointed it to a mounted dvd backup ISO in my home directory and it plays smoothly @ a 750 bitrate, with audio dropped to 92kpbs, 488x280, 18 fps. I've taken the bitrate up to 800 without major problems.

I will note (though I'm sure it's my vlc being moody) that the thumbnails for all my videos are just a green frame. Gives me nostalgia from early XVID days. The videos themselves look great however so I'll probably just disable thumbs. That, and it's not quite friendly to large music collections, though it's great for music videos.

Working on a few custom profiles to try and get hockey games looking good on this thing. It's a tough balance between bitrate (too low and you can't see the puck) and fps (the native fps of my hockey videos are about 60 fps and hockey cameras move REALLY fast).

Also, if you have a list of other settings that can be added (like the DVD drive) that would be really cool.

So great stuff, fantastic program! We needed this years ago!

The Following User Says Thank You to twiz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by twiz View Post
Hello,

Just started using Knots a week ago, and after a week of tweaking it works like a dream.
Only needed a week of tweaking? You make it sound so easy

Exactly what I've been needing! Now I have time to knock out some of my unwatched video clutter on my computer!

For reference, I'm running Sabayon 4 (Gentoo) and I have an N800, pre-Diablo on wifi fios. I started with 0.2.5(no issues) and upgraded to 0.2.6 after a fresh mplayer reinstall on my tablet. I did end up recompiling ffmpeg and vlc to get it going. The ffmpeg in the portage tree compiled with the recommended flags did the job, but I had to compile vlc by hand. After that I had all transcoding profiles working.

I even have the DVD setting installed and I'm really impressed. I pointed it to a mounted dvd backup ISO in my home directory and it plays smoothly @ a 750 bitrate, with audio dropped to 92kpbs, 488x280, 18 fps. I've taken the bitrate up to 800 without major problems.
I should actually add support for dvd images/dirs like in first Knots without the need for that setting. That setting should only be needed for dvd discs, but most people seemed to have problems with it so I'm glad it worked.

I will note (though I'm sure it's my vlc being moody) that the thumbnails for all my videos are just a green frame. Gives me nostalgia from early XVID days. The videos themselves look great however so I'll probably just disable thumbs. That, and it's not quite friendly to large music collections, though it's great for music videos.
I got similar issues at one point with my VDR recordings, ffmpeg doesn't seem to handle mpeg format too well for some reason, but I've never seen issues with other formats. But, you can prolly fix this by compiling a new ffmpeg later.

Working on a few custom profiles to try and get hockey games looking good on this thing. It's a tough balance between bitrate (too low and you can't see the puck) and fps (the native fps of my hockey videos are about 60 fps and hockey cameras move REALLY fast).

Also, if you have a list of other settings that can be added (like the DVD drive) that would be really cool.

So great stuff, fantastic program! We needed this years ago!
Thank you for the kind words, really made my day. Knots was actually started before mediaserv etc, but Ruby never made it into extras so I gave up on the first client. Rewriting the whole thing took some time, so sorry for it being little late

I'll try to document some settings into wiki. But it's still a moving target and I sometimes have to force users to rescan their collection due to changes in database. But remember to git pull from time to time if you aren't afraid of rescanning.

ps. Diablo's autobuilder seems to be broken somehow and I haven't heard back from anyone about it, so diablo users still need to wait for the client. It built ok, but hasn't appeared in -devel yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Under debian I only get a loop when I try to start knots:

from ./lib/vlc.rb:194:in `start_vlc'
from ./lib/vlc.rb:279:in `telnet_commands'
from ./lib/vlc.rb:164:in `running'
from ./lib/vlc.rb:196:in `start_vlc'
from ./lib/vlc.rb:194:in `times'
from ./lib/vlc.rb:194:in `times'

Originally Posted by seef View Post
Under debian I only get a loop when I try to start knots:
You sure you have the correct path in the settings and VLC is >= 0.9, not 0.8.x?

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 39 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ On the wasatch front, UT USA
This is an awesome app/server, well done! I run the server portion off my house server (running ubuntu 8.04 still) which is our media repository. I love the ability to resume shows and the ability to tweak profiles.

I recompiled ffmpeg with xvid/libmp3lame support which seemed to compile fine, but streams were without audio. Changing to mpga worked for tablet streaming, though. Thanks! Not sure why the ffmpeg isn't handle transcoding to mp3, but I heck it works and I don't use for mp3 encoding for much of anything else.

Originally Posted by ukki View Post
Does it work without it? You may have to recompile ffmpeg yourself with proper support for xvid/libmp3lame to get it working properly. Otherwise you may end up with no sound or just sound. If you get image without sound, try using mpga as the audio codec in n8x0 profile. I'll check if there are better instructions for jaunty, I just took them from the wiki which seems outdated.

The Following User Says Thank You to salinmooch For This Useful Post:
just wanted to let you know that ukki added custom icons support to the knots2 Client!

This makes it a breeze to adjust it to your preferences:

i've started a icon pack (see end of post if you wanna use those). Collected from various GPL'ed icon packs from gnome-look.org. Please post suggestions for nicer icons if you think they don't fit.

If you wanna use those, assign them in the web-frontend to the Main Categories (Video, Music, Television) in the "Edit Media" Tab and Icons for Virtual Categories can be assigned on the "Settings" tab of the web-frontend.

A Note for ubuntu & Firefox users: There seems to be a bug somewhere in gecko (or another firefox related package) that prevents the gnome file selection dialog to open when you click on "assign image". If you also got hit by this, just use the opera browser to assign the icons.
Attached Files
File Type: gz knots2-iconpack.tar.gz (111.2 KB, 238 views)

Last edited by mtron; 2009-11-24 at 22:50.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtron For This Useful Post:
ok so for awhile i had my knots server up and running fine. i had recently reinstalled my os(ultimate 2.4 now).

it was working fine til i tried to setup the ssl u/n and pass. since that time, when i put in ./knots.rb it takes a few seconds and displays .............++++++++++ on two lines.

now it states in firefox "Unable to connect, Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:1978. "

i feel really dumb as i have set this up many times. im stumped on this loop though...any help would be appreciated

EDIT: after initiating the command it says this:
The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

Last edited by shadowztaff; 2009-11-25 at 15:31.

Tags
knots, music, streaming, video