Posts: 18 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Boston
Hey all I have moved on to SailfishX and my days of needing a device to hack on are behind me.

There is now only one device, the Intex AquaFish has all its original packaging and I am looking to sell it for $100 USD + Shipping or Best Offer.

Name:  20171030_095923.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  20171030_095956.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  41.2 KB

It has a rather politically appropriate vinyl stickers, they can stay on or be taken off, up to the buyer.

Name:  20171030_095906.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  43.5 KB

Please PM if you are interested.

Last edited by marxistvegan; 2017-11-22 at 11:12. Reason: typo

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marxistvegan For This Useful Post:
You might find that pricing is slightly optimistic since XperiaX available as slightly used AquaFish albeit without box recently sold for $82 delivered in UK:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intex-Aqu...19.m1438.l2649

The Following User Says Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:
Thanks I adjusted it to encourage folks to make offers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxistvegan For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by marxistvegan View Post
The Jolla C cause of my cat has a couple of teeth marks on the red/orange case
Heh, once long ago back in the times when cellphones still had antaennas I had a cat who had irrisistable urge to chew on all phone antennas!

Luckily there's no such external chewybits appendages in 'em any longer

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
My first mobile phone had a retractable antenna you had to pull out before making a call. That was 20 years ago. Only this year did I learn that it was a con. The "antenna" was a useless piece of plastic, only to give the user the illusion of having some impact on the phone's operation. The real antenna was fixed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Hmm, what was the device you had then?
If I remember correctly my very first "mobile" phone was Siemens nmt-910 which had a fixed antenna. Of course you cannot ever be totally sure (and I never disassembled it) but it looked like it was a functional piece.

The device that fascinated my cat was a Nokia 2110i which indeed has a retractable antenna whip on top of a helix stub.
This at least I am sure was a functional piece as I did take those devices apart several times.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Hmm, what was the device you had then?
Motorola MicroTAC. Can't remember which model exactly but the display was LCD with battery and signal strength indicators, not LED.

I have no idea where the name came from. Literally nothing about it was "micro", even at the time. Well, maybe the battery life.

Main features:
  • The weight of a small brick
  • A full-size SIM card (the size of a credit card)
  • Up to 12 hours battery life (standby, not talk)
  • Could receive SMS but not send
  • Received texts, even from contacts on the contact list, would only display the number, not the name (the same issue would plague other Motorola phones for years to come)
  • Context-dependent volume control:
    - with the keyboard cover closed, it would control the ringer volume
    - with the keyboard cover open, it would control the key press volume
    - during the call, it would control the headset volume
    This meant that I missed a few calls because the ringer volume was pushed all the way down accidentally by other objects in the suitcase.

But it set a trend. All my phones for the next 10 years were Motorolas Never had a Nokia until the N900.
I gave it away in 1998. I should have kept it, it could fetch a nice price nowadays if still functional.

Last edited by pichlo; 2017-10-31 at 09:53.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
The JollaC was sold, still have the Intel Aquafish.

I'm interested in the intex but can't p.m you as i've only just registered on the site! not sure what my options are

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ziggystan For This Useful Post:
@ziggystan what country are you in, as that seems to be the challenge in keeping costs down