I am new to the n800 and i'm trying to boost the sound for mplayer. I have read a few of the threads posted by others on the topic and have made some progress.

I downloaded Emelfm2
I found etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf
I hit the editing button and a page popped up with lots of entries with equal signs (the last one was zoom=true)
Under zoom=true I typed softvol=yes and under that softvol-max=500
I then saved and closed the page but on the main Emelfm2 page it said 'cannot create file etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf permission denied'

I am really new at this so any pointers or ideas would be really helpful. Thanks

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
First off, compliments on a well-titled post and well-explained problem.

My guess is that for what you are doing you need to have root access when in emelfm2. The way you do that is by launching emelfm2 from xterm after accessing root in xterm.

So, first, install rootsh. See this about Root Access. And here is rootsh.

Once you have rootsh installed, open xterm. Type

sudo gainroot

and then click enter. Your prompt should now have changed from $ to #.

Now type and enter

emelfm2

That should launch emelfm2 and let you do things you couldn't do when launching from the icon.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
@XLarsonX welcom to the forum. Hope you stick around and found it fun as I am. I did try to return your pm, but it does not go thru....check your mailbox and fix it if possible.

GeraldKo have your answer.

There are many way to skin a cat. You can automate alot of processes by using Personal Menu, dl and install from your app manager, here are my way of automate some processes:

To run emelfm2 as root
Command to excecute: /usr/bin/emelfm2 and check Run as root

To open gvm of your apps
Command to execute: /usr/bin/gvm/gvm -a ZLCR -z 1.5 and check Run in terminal

To open xterm automatically gain root
Command to execute: sudo gainroot and check Run in terminal

Post if question, there are many many GeraldKo in the forum, good, friendly, knows the stuff and eager to help.

Welcom again,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-12-12 at 19:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Hello again,

Thank you guys for the warm welcoming and responding so quickly. I installed the root program and it worked purfectly.

And bunanson, thanks for trying to private message me back, but for some reason I can't access my private messages anymore. Everytime I click the link it sends me to a page that says I don't have permission to access this page.

Anyway thanks again for the tips!

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by XLarsonX View Post
...And bunanson, thanks for trying to private message me back, but for some reason I can't access my private messages anymore. Everytime I click the link it sends me to a page that says I don't have permission to access this page.
I think you have to have 10 post before you can pm. I could be wrong, anyway, just make some jokes :-) , that will get your 10 posts and have pm permission. At least, that how I started 2 years ago

bun

Finally I have root thanks to you all. Thank you so much.

Tags
emelfm2, gvm