on the subject of what:

http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/

and that is just the start:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7169/n...-mobile-kepler

Last edited by Jedibeeftrix; 2013-07-24 at 13:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
Why Blackberry decided to launch their new BBOS10 platform with an old OpenGL ES 2.0 limited Qualcomm SoC, I do not know, but there is no reason to replicate that idiocy.

Sailfish can, I believe, use Android linux drivers from SoC vendors, important, as no-one is going to release a Sailfish specific linux driver for their SoC.
Why no one. Some manufacturers can be interested, since Jolla plans quite a massive production (unlike Canonical's Edge device).

By the way, what's going on with Intel's mobile CPU/GPU?

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-07-23 at 20:02.

the 22nm bay trail atom looks promising, but nothing arm cannot keep up with on the sub 4W front.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Albuquerque, NM, USA
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I think Linux needs a fresh re-boot.
It needs the best software available, with the best UX available. That means cutting out 95% of everything else, breaking compatibility to pave a new way for the ecosystem to thrive.
It already has those things. No need for mass culling. No need to break stuff.

The best method is Android.
Say what you want but Google is twelve steps ahead of Linux.
Android is Linux, albeit with a really crappy UI and lots of intentionally-broken compatibility.

Open Source philosophy is what drags Linux down.
No. The free software nature of linux is the defining reason for its success. It's why google is able to use Linux in android. Your statement is bafflingly stupid. Thankfully, Torvalds licensed Linux GPL, so that no one will ever be able to "fix" this non-problem.

Android is not open source.
Its closed source dictated by one company.
Actually, it is open source. That's why AOSP, Cyanogenmod, ParanoidAndroid and Replicant exist. It's why really cool stuff like Openpdroid exists.

But the company has good direction, and later opens up the source.
Its a hybrid approach, and one much suited for this world.
So it is open source then? You seem to be conflating community-driven development with open source. Of course Google dictates the code they release. It is also true that Torvalds dictates what patches are accepted into Linux. In the same way, I dictate what words come out of my mouth.

We need the same muscle and philosophy Google uses on Android, except one for true Linux systems.
Nokia was meant to be it.
No, we don't. We just need some decent hardware with good (ideally free) drivers. The software is mostly ready for us once we get some fscking hardware. Plasma Active is nice.

Nokia made some cool stuff. Then they stopped doing that.

The N900 successor was meant to be a qwerty-tilt device with competitive hardware and superior software.
Yet the N9 we dreamt was trashed, and we got a bastardized iPhone competitor.
True that. Elop should have been fired on 2/12/2011, along with a retraction of his "burning platforms" memo.

At this point, I'm just giving up hope.
Maybe Linux could catch a break. Maybe. Who knows.
I'm simply not holding my breath anymore, my phones will no longer be mobile computers but "fun gadgets" instead.
The folks at Jolla and at Canonical would advise you not to give up hope. Plasma Active is pretty awesome too.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
It looks unlikely that it will use an OpenGL ES 3.0 SoC. I noticed that thp has been busy creating/editting a Harmattan Porting page on the Sailfish wiki and it only talks about using OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0. There is no mention of OpenGL ES 3.0.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
It looks unlikely that it will use an OpenGL ES 3.0 SoC. I noticed that thp has been busy creating/editting a Harmattan Porting page on the Sailfish wiki and it only talks about using OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0. There is no mention of OpenGL ES 3.0.
Excuse me but: duh! Harmattan isn't OpenGL ES 3.0, so what's there to port?

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Excuse me but: duh! Harmattan isn't OpenGL ES 3.0, so what's there to port?
Nothing, however I thought that if OpenGL ES 3.0 was an option it would have listed there. Thinking about it a bit more, the OpenGL ES options are of course dependent on those that are compatible with Qt 5 and SDL and are not necessarily indicative of what SoC will be used.

The Following User Says Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Cool games.

Come on, you can dream up some of that yourself. And often you see that new technology sparks new inventions. I've seen multiple new wireless things, which thanks to the extreme low power requirements of bluetooth 4 are finally capable of directly communicating with smartphones.
no they does not this overhyped smartphone with trippelcore cpu and blablabla hw has not moved much innovation forward lattelly. Only fanatics geeks who just look at the damn specs about hw cares. Much of the hw is WAY before sw and the sw dont fully use xxxx functionalality anyway. So again I am still not convinced and second I dont beleive the SoC will support it. The SoC will be some midend gfx/cpu

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-08-01 at 17:34.

in addition to android 4.3, IOS 7 now supports openGL ES 3.0.

BlackBerry 10 runs great and smooth. That's all I ask for. Optimized software if better than having the latest hardware.