Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
I just got my 2008 vm setup and am trying to see what the new OS can do so i compiled Transmission... here is the original project website : http://transmission.m0k.org/

Looks great and has nice progress bars and multiple simultaneous downloads. You can get information on any download and see all kinds of statistics and even a 'piece availability' graph. The new status bar icon functionality acts a little weird so keep that in mind (note the icon in status bar)

I would suggest using it on less expensive sd cards until real world tests determine prolonged effects.

[Grab 2008 build here] : (Updated 12/02)
http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFi...n-1.3.2008.deb

[Grab 2007 build here] - (Updated 12/02) :
http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFi...n-1.3.2007.deb

Note : You'll have to save torrent and then open it with Transmission.
Note : Downloading large files might freeze up for a min or so at first, while initializing file space.
Note : Exit the program via menu, not the close (x) button.

Advanced users can download the extra command line utilities (proxy, daemon, remote, and cli) which i did not test or include in installer, from tar here :
http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFi...n-utils.tar.gz

This is a photoshop which is pixel for pixel perfect for what you'd see if you actually downloaded these files :
To Mr. pipeline, long may you reign, may the gods bequeath upon you the choicest of virgins, may your loins never know fatigue but eternal satiation, your name will be sung far and wide on the lips of sirens. This, I, merovingian, of the long-haired Frankish kings have blessed you.

wtf, umm... thanks?

We could sure use a tracker with content for Maemo right now.

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Is upgrade to upstream version 0.95 planned? It has already adopted a fix for OS2006/OS2007 crash on opening torrent, so there should be no need patching it to solve this issue

And by the way, are the sources of all the extra stuff needed for building maemo packages of Transmission available for download somewhere?

Wow, your on top of it... ok so author has updated upstream code to version 0.95 (which includes your fix) .... alright, so i've just built a chinook binary and package (which i'll link later), BUT...

The bora build is giving issues with platform.c @ the include /usr/include/pthread.h (around 12 identical errors of :
error: systax error before '*' token

Those lines (441, 446, 449, etc..) all seem to point to compiler not understanding the pthread_rwlock_t type.

This error is new to v0.95. It seems other's are receiving this error : http://transmission.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3159

Any ideas?

---
Regarding availability of sources, sure. I probably would have checked into garage svn the source once things settled a bit. And the deb can be reverse engineered with linux archiver and repackaged with pypackager. Was this request something you are interested in personally (perhaps you have plans?) or just ensuring good 'citizenship' ? If you have plans for this, let me know what you need.

Last edited by pipeline; 2007-12-06 at 16:09.

The bora build is giving issues with platform.c @ the include /usr/include/pthread.h (around 12 identical errors of :
error: systax error before '*' token

Those lines (441, 446, 449, etc..) all seem to point to compiler not understanding the pthread_rwlock_t type.
This problem has been already fixed in Transmission SVN: http://transmission.m0k.org/trac/ticket/534

Regarding availability of sources, sure. I probably would have checked into garage svn the source once things settled a bit. And the deb can be reverse engineered with linux archiver and repackaged with pypackager. Was this request something you are interested in personally (perhaps you have plans?) or just ensuring good 'citizenship' ? If you have plans for this, let me know what you need.
Well, having everything available as open source is at the very least a good tradition and a sign of respect to all the work already done to bring this nice torrent client to maemo (the Transmission torrent client itself and the libraries it depends on are all open source). Keeping the very last bit (the packaging stuff) as closed source does not make much sense

I think that reverse engineering it is the last thing one would do. Just taking 'debian' directory from the standard debian distribution and starting a new packaging effort might be a more natural step. But I hope we will not have any need to use this last option

Anyway, having a full set of files that were used to build packages is important if you want other people to take part in improving build system. Also building a package for OS2006 with native 'gregale' SDK might be interesting.

A patch against the standard upstream Transmission sources which adds all the needed packaging stuff would be the best option to distribute your changes. Also it would be very nice to have version numbers in sync with upstream versioning scheme to avoid confusion (maemo transmission packages can have just an extra number which identifies patchlevel appended to the upstream version number, you can see maemo mplayer packages as an example).

I've updated (and changed the version numbering) the packages in first post to authors version 0.95 source code. Instead of naming it 1.4.0 it is now version 0.95 rev 14 to reflect authors 0.95 and my 14 build revision.
------
Serge:

Yes, i can see how thats important for a project like mplayer... and i appreciate your no-compromise approach to development!

Inspired by that, i hereby declare i have open sourced my trivial 4 line modifications and hacks to make maemo friendly! Rejoice the mana from heaven!

http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFi....95-src.tar.gz

Since i no longer have an OS2006 device to test on (or vm with which i could target it), i don't know if the bora build would work on there but perhaps since the app depends on gtk it is very OS-specific. Assuming bora build doesnt work on OS2006, someone with a gregale SDK scratchbox environment might try downloading the source code and doing standard :
./configure
make

... and then looking to see if it built the transmission executable in the gtk subdirectory. When you run it on the device, i suspect you will need to invoke the executable similar to how bora launches it, using :
EVENT_NOEPOLL=1 ./transmission
(thanks serge)

My setup package is likely unorthodox to linux purists such as yourself, so honestly anyone who would have a use for it would probably pick better file system structure.

I am working on determining why svn does not work on my chinook vm, but once that's resolved i will send code up to garage.

Last edited by pipeline; 2007-12-11 at 13:03.

Yes, i can see how thats important for a project like mplayer... and i appreciate your no-compromise approach to development!
Well, I did not want to press on your for sure, sorry. My only intention was to get a stable and well packaged Transmission package for OS2006 eventually (maybe after OS2008 package stabilizes).

As you don't have any OS2006 device to test it, I think that having the sources available with a reproducible way of building .deb packages is the only solution to get stable packages for all IT OS versions (so that other people can contribute to development).

Since i no longer have an OS2006 device to test on (or vm with which i could target it), i don't know if the bora build would work on there but perhaps since the app depends on gtk it is very OS-specific. Assuming bora build doesnt work on OS2006, someone with a gregale SDK scratchbox environment might try downloading the source code and doing standard :
OS2007 package starts and runs on OS2006. It just has some glitches, so building a "native" OS2006 package specifically tuned for Nokia 770 might be a good idea later. For example /media/mmc2 is not a good choice for Nokia 770 as it only has a single memory card slot mounted at /media/mmc1...

My setup package is likely unorthodox to linux purists such as yourself, so honestly anyone who would have a use for it would probably pick better file system structure.
You never know For me the most important requirements are: it should work, do the job well and have somebody who supports it, everything else is secondary. Thank you for taking care of all this job building maemo packages and providing support for them. Reinventing wheels and hijacking somebody's else projects is not fun for me. There are lots more interesting things to do

I'm just interested in having a good torrent client for internet tablets, so will try to help as much as I can in the case of troubles.

BTW, the problem with routers mentioned as "Fix router errors caused by sending too many tracker requests at once" might be also somewhat related to epoll issue which needs 'EVENT_NOEPOLL=1' workaround. Probably OS2006/OS2007 also does not behave well under high load with many simultaneous connections. Who knows.

Last edited by Serge; 2007-12-09 at 22:47.

No problem Serge, hope you didnt take it the wrong way... my sarcasm is mostly to let you realise I'm a bit of a linux newbie. Everything else i ported were static versions so im not used to having to reapply maemo-fixes to living source tree (while targeting different sources)... i have newfound respect the level of effort that must go into projects such as mplayer.

I'm learning about the methods he uses (notably NAT-PMP and PEX) and how that might affect routers in the different source versions he has been releasing lately. I am also learning about epoll in linux and how that comes into play.

NAT-PMP might have issues with router compatibility (or conflict with existing port forwarding configuration) and PEX might drastically increase the number of 'peer' communications which could affect epoll.

So far the only issue (kind of a big one though) i have is that occasionally my network connection seems to get zapped and no traffic can get in or out of n800. I need to disconnect and reconnect to network to restore communications. I have other wifi issues though and also just realized my port forwarding was wrong (and possibly conflicted with NAT-PMP)... so im still testing.

I'd appreciate any feedback from users about any issues they are encountering, otherwise i'm just making the best build for me, my router, and my configuration (although that works for me )

Thanks again Serge, hopefully my spare time maemo development will get more structured soon although i am very hijack-friendly if others want to take it somewhere else No real agenda here other than getting the best bittorent client i can on my own devices.

BTW latest mplayer really looks great, not sure how long its been in there but the on screen menu looks great. Very helpful for opening new files received after gmplauncher has done a scan.

Last edited by pipeline; 2007-12-09 at 23:49.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Helsinki, Finland
I saw you created a project @ garage.maemo.org. Do you need help putting the sources into svn?

Tags
bittorrent