If I plug in my Nokia IT800 to my Intel iMac, both cards automatically mount on the desktop...which is what I would expect. However, when I eject them, they automatically remount. I do not want to corrupt the cards, so I have been shutting down the iMac before unplugging the USB cable. Anyone know why they won't eject and stay ejected? What is the best thing to do?
Thanks,
RN

Well that's certainly not normal, all the USB devices I use on my MacPro stay ejected. I'll confirm if the same happens with mine when it arrives in a day or so.

The Following User Says Thank You to Riddler For This Useful Post:
Same here; almost immediately mounts again. Try to pull the usb plug in the second before it mounts again. Any solution would be appreciated.

This is an odd one. I reported a bug on maemo buzilla because I had the same problem. And then it stopped happening and works as it should.

I'm running 10.4.8 on a macbook with all patches applied.

The only way I've found to make them stay unmounted is to unmount them in disk utility.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Minnesota
Originally Posted by Ultim8Fury View Post
The only way I've found to make them stay unmounted is to unmount them in disk utility.
Ditto for me under Tiger with mounted drives.

Well, "Me too", as they say.

OS X 10.4.9 on a G4 Mac Mini, USB via the spare keyboard port. It also auto-launches iPhoto, recognising the SD cards as if they were a camera, and when you click the Eject symbol in the iPhoto listing, the same thing happens, the unmount and mount again.

Same procedure if you drag to the Trash.

I tried dragging to the Trash and immediately pulling the cable, but with two cards, I think the first was on its way back as the second was on the way out, so I still got a Finder slap on the wrist message saying don't remove media without ejecting it.

The Disk Utility "Unmount" mentioned by U. Fury above does the trick, but if you also click "Eject" in Disk Utility, the cards re-mount.

Tomsk.

Last edited by tomsk; 2007-04-09 at 16:41.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
I've always ejected the mmc that I've accessed and then just pulled the plug. No corruptions after hundreds of disconnections. Just wait until the disc disappers (for a while) before disconnecting

how come when connect my Nokia n800 to my PPC Mac 10.4.9 - nothing happens? The cards don't mount.

sf dude - in what order do you connect your N800? Switch on first, then USB cable or vice versa?
And does your N800 have its SD cards inserted, because they are the only things that show up on the Mac desktop: i.e. not the device itself, but only the removable card(s).
I had Image Capture on the Mac set to "when a camera is connected: Open iPhoto". But surely it should act like a removable disk anyway, regardless of the iPhoto settings.

I also had success with pairing N800 to Mac via Bluetooth, and using file transfer to move stuff over. Not as quick as USB, but a workround anyway.

late here, so any more replies will be tomorrow or later still...

Tomsk