Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
If I input command from the terminal it states that symlink created. However, nothing appears on the computer:

Edited:
RE: space before dot - yes
RE: computer\Sailfish\sdcard - tried, no such folder

Last edited by Silwer; 2014-01-05 at 13:09.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Silwer View Post
If I input command from the terminal it states that symlink created ...
When you looks up a list from your /home/nemo/ using Terminal, can you see following line (command 'ls -l'). Timestamp naturally different.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 nemo nemo 30 2014-01-05 01:25 sdcard -> /run/user/100000/media/sdcard

or using eg. File Browser, you should see the similar link to sdcard.

The Following User Says Thank You to rannari For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
the masses are not interested in a Jolla phone now.
More to the point, the phone frankly (and sadly) isn't ready for the masses yet, so it'll be difficult to gain that interest. And I'm beginning to suspect that by the time all the bugs, rough edges and missing features are ironed out, the hardware will be so far behind that it still won't appeal to the masses.

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
Originally Posted by rannari View Post
When you looks up a list from your /home/nemo/ using Terminal, can you see following line (command 'ls -l'). Timestamp naturally different.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 nemo nemo 30 2014-01-05 01:25 sdcard -> /run/user/100000/media/sdcard

or using eg. File Browser, you should see the similar link to sdcard.
I did not had it. Now I tried one more time to input the command and it worked - now I have sdcard folder: Computer\Sailfish\Phone Memory\sdcard
Could be that previously I did not had a "cd" command in front of the "ln" command. Thank you!

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by Mitrigol View Post
I have some files with accent characters in their name, like é è à â, and the like.

Problem is those chars are displayed as white diamond shapes with ? inside. i am aware it is a locale issue, but am unable to pinpoint the sourceand solve this.
Also, i can't manage the files properly. like i can't delete or rename them.

I have the same when i connect via ssh on the phone, also in media app and also in my ftp android client, in gallery app, videos with accent are shown as "Oops, cannot display thumbnail"
I use Windows and I had the same problem when I used a laptop card reader for copying files to the microSD card. So I reformatted the card and stopped using the card reader. I think it must be some character encoding issue that occurs only when using the card reader.

Now I copy files via USB using the symbolic link trick, so Windows sees the sdcard folder in Phone Memory. I also tried WinSCP (via USB) but transfers were a lot slower. With WinSCP the entire file system can be accessed.

The Following User Says Thank You to hana For This Useful Post:
my FAT formatted SD card that I had used (and filled ) on N900 before is mounted read only on my Jolla.
What can I do to change that behavior?

Originally Posted by strongm View Post
More to the point, the phone frankly (and sadly) isn't ready for the masses yet, so it'll be difficult to gain that interest. And I'm beginning to suspect that by the time all the bugs, rough edges and missing features are ironed out, the hardware will be so far behind that it still won't appeal to the masses.
Well, I've shown my Jolla to a few people by now, and I've heard generally positive things, they all seem to like its appearance and they really show interest when I show them android apps running. Sure some get confused by the gestures navigation (even after I've opened the tutorial for them!), but that's expected. So maybe the masses aren't as NOT ready as you guys think...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 243kof For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by 243kof View Post
Well, I've shown my Jolla to a few people by now, and I've heard generally positive things, they all seem to like its appearance and they really show interest when I show them android apps running. Sure some get confused by the gestures navigation (even after I've opened the tutorial for them!), but that's expected. So maybe the masses aren't as NOT ready as you guys think...
Yep, I've shown mine to people. And they all think it looks nice, but have none have shown any interest in investigating it any further.

And being shown the phone and actually using it are different things. The masses sure as heck won't want to be playing with fingerterm or SSH and manually creating symbolic links to that they can use their SD card. And if they like Android apps they'll be a bit disappointed in the limited Yandex store, but they won't want to be hacking the system to get access to Google Play (and then finding that actually not all Android apps run). They won't like the flaky data connectivity, they won't like the extremely limited camera functionality. I could go on.

Much of this is (eventually) fixable and probably on Jolla's roadmap, and we early adopters are prepared to turn a blind eye to the current shortcomings. The masses won't be so forgiving. And, as I say, by the time they are all fixed (and even with monthly updates I'd suggest that is going to take a while) the hardware - already far from high end - is going to look dated.

That's just my personal opinion, though. I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
The masses won't be so forgiving. And, as I say, by the time they are all fixed (and even with monthly updates I'd suggest that is going to take a while) the hardware - already far from high end - is going to look dated.
I agree everything what you say and it would imo be delusional to think some operator could put Jolla on a stand and see random customers picking up the phone. People getting Jolla do know exactly what they want and are getting.

Though I don't get that hardware argument. It's not like Jolla isn't making a second phone. We know they are making a second phone, and hopefully much more. Sailflish as OS wont become "full featured" in this iteration of hardware anyways.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
You guys raise good points, on the other hand no device is perfect, every single device I've had before Jolla had problems, be it WLAN connectivity, slowness and so on.. anyway, I think we might be getting slightly off-topic so I won't carry on with this

The Following User Says Thank You to 243kof For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience