Active Topics

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
I would have to agree more so with shallimus, unless you can demonstrate that a customer base of following folks:

"At this stage Jolla is only interesting to tinkerers, hobbyst-developers and Finns, still morning for Nokia demise."

can keep Jolla/Sailfish afloat...
Well, I am sure sales are important. But I hope Jolla has a longer term plan, and for sure they are only part of the plan. And consumer grade software will improve for sure, but it will take quite a bit more time before it is "ready for the masses".

For whatever is worth, the only thing preventing me to use the Jolla as my main phone is the missing wifi sharing option, which apparently is on its way. The rest of the application I cannot do without are already there, working mostly fine. Of course, there is space for improvement.

What I am worried is that the most voted features on TJC have not really good return of investment for Jolla, and as a consequence, for users, long term.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
So Tethering application from Jolla Store is not enough for you?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Penguin For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by mikelima View Post
Well, I am sure sales are important. But I hope Jolla has a longer term plan, and for sure they are only part of the plan.
What is that by the way? Disheartening to hear still almost nothing about other OEM's/ODM's in a "Sailfish Alliance" (I'll be careful not to evoke earlier grand speak by their 1st CEO).

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-03-11 at 18:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by mikelima View Post
...For whatever is worth, the only thing preventing me to use the Jolla as my main phone is the missing wifi sharing option, which apparently is on its way...
Do you refer to Wi-Fi tethering? - there is very well working application in store("Tethering").
Even IIRC this application serves as the core for in OS tethering implementation in upcoming 1.0.4.x release.

There are reasons why he is not CEO anymore and one of those was what he spoke.

He was thinking too much like an engineer that these are programmable devices and anything is possible in theory. Whatever journalists where asking from him was always possible in theory and journalist wrote that as promised fact or feature.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Penguin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
How about walking around a town or cycling?

I found it pretty much useless as the route guide is just a text list and series of turn symbols that doesn't update as you walk/drive/cycle plus it takes up half the screen.
Yeah I agree, maps for Jolla is something just thrown there. When I might have any need for maps, I just pick my Lumia or iPhone.

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
"At this stage Jolla is only interesting to tinkerers, hobbyst-developers and Finns, still morning for Nokia demise."

can keep Jolla/Sailfish afloat...
Can they? As far as Finland goes I get a lot of questions about Jolla. So people at least know the thing. That said my Jolla is the only one I have ever seen. Jolla has not been on DNA's top 10 sales list on January or February.

I always thought China was the actual market that would bring the revenue they needed for Jolla phone, outside of licensing the OS. It was the first market that got distributor announced. So at least to me it is still very worrying that the deal apparently fell flat.

Last edited by tissot; 2014-03-11 at 18:01.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
There are reasons why he is not CEO anymore and one of those was what he spoke.
Yeah, I know....

He was thinking too much like an engineer that these are programmable devices and anything is possible in theory. Whatever journalists where asking from him was always possible in theory and journalist wrote that as promised fact or feature.
That's probably a large factor, but he also said at least 1-2 outright silly things that can't be put down to misquotes.
Anyway, I'm sure all of us are more interested in this...

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-03-11 at 18:32.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Anyway, I'm sure all of us are more interested in this...
That is progressing well, as fas I have heard from my sources. Sailfish Beta really has not been something any other manyfacturer would get into their phones, yet. System need to be more polished and more rubust. What comes to individual applications like maps and such may and will change a lot on different markets. Current HERE is there, but it won't be the last word we will hear.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Take a step back and tell me what you see:

I see evolution. CEO BETA. CEO 1.0. CEO 1.1[HOTFIX]...

Same here:

and here:

Evolution and change is Great!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-03-11 at 19:27.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
That is progressing well, as fas I have heard from my sources.
Sailfish Beta really has not been something any other manyfacturer would get into their phones, yet.
System need to be more polished and more rubust.
I hope so, so far Ubuntu seems to have "more runs on the board" in terms of getting 3rd parties involved, & it's even less "polished" than Sailfish.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...manufacturers/
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...untu-handsets/

FFOS is doing even better than Ubuntu in that respect, although it can't really be compared to Sailfish/Tizen/Ubuntu, far less capable etc.
When it comes to hand-helds, Tizen no longer seems to be interested in getting 3rd parties on-board, for now...
But Samsung will make it far more visible to potential hand-held partners with the arrival of it's Gear wearables that use Tizen instead of Android.

Not wanting to talk things down, but assuming there's been competitive progress*, some "light thrown on this subject" by Jolla is overdue.

*I dare not think the worst

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-03-11 at 19:11.

Tags
"soon", "sooner", "when?"