Hi all, i just wanted to share this video, my N900 has been now running for over 70 days since last boot and is perfectly usable. Just a little reminder of how amazing they are, I would not dream of doing the same with my Belle Refresh N8 or my ICS tablet..

Clicky

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to philh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
My record was 82 days. I could have reached more, but by restarting dbus the phone became unstable, so i rebooted -.-

Still, Maemo 5 is one of the most stable mobile operating systems and I'm proud to own one of these devices

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to D.Cent For This Useful Post:
I believe docscrutinizer on irc had nearly a year on one of his devices!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
I believe docscrutinizer on irc had nearly a year on one of his devices!
Amazing.. I'll keep it on and see how it goes, it's not my main phone but I still use it quite a lot, the usual browse, im, cutetube, internet radio, some games etc, from what I've seen so far the thing will go on till the battery fails. At one point I was convinced it needs a restart after the cpu got locked at 100% and 1ghz after a session of Angry Birds, just left it for an hour or two, got back to it, something probably restarted and all was fine

The Following User Says Thank You to philh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 198 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Louth / Ireland
Originally Posted by philh View Post
Hi all, i just wanted to share this video, my N900 has been now running for over 70 days since last boot and is perfectly usable. Just a little reminder of how amazing they are, I would not dream of doing the same with my Belle Refresh N8 or my ICS tablet..

Clicky
In my case, Ihave to reboot every 2-3 days. And that's TOPS. In most cases modest (quite few mails at once 12 times a day), Recaller (not so much now when files are saved in AAC), QML Cute Tube (only when download list is around 20+ pieces) are forcing me to reboot.

So 70 days for me would be like dream, not to complain of course. Reboot is taking only few moments and few mAh ;-) but after that fresh and powerfull device is back on track, working hard.

The Following User Says Thank You to Garrett_PL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
It's certainly not caused by recaller, I use it with WAV file mode and I always have 14+ days uptime

The Following User Says Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 198 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Louth / Ireland
Originally Posted by petur View Post
It's certainly not caused by recaller, I use it with WAV file mode and I always have 14+ days uptime
Ooo, it is - easy way to find out. First ''top'' in X-Term, so I can see what process is still running eating more than half of CPU power, even the call has been terminated while ago (depends on time when I spott high CPU, and it's sometimes even after 1-2h). Second in folder when REC are stored I can see ''Still recording'' file, few kB size. Then Recaller icon stays green after call.

So man, I'm quite sure about Recaller.

The Following User Says Thank You to Garrett_PL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by D.Cent View Post
Still, Maemo 5 is one of the most stable mobile operating systems and I'm proud to own one of these devices
The current uptime on my Treo 600 (running Palm OS) is 35 days. From a single charge. It says 35% left. Although it was on standby for >99% of the time, so I'm not sure it counts. The reason it is 35 days is because I forgot about it and the battery ran out. When I used it regularly I had it running without a reboot for 2 years since I replaced the battery. The battery was 5 years old. That's how long it was running without a reboot before the replacement.

People were making stable operating systems before Maemo

I reboot mine at least once a day. Sometimes more than that. It depends on how much I manage to resist fiddling. Installing a new application usually requires a reboot to force the redraw of the new icon. Which is a bummer, I really believe it shouldn't.

Last edited by pichlo; 2012-11-16 at 22:29.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
This is fascinating but how do people keep the charge topped up? The USB on my first two only lasted a year each - now I'm out of warranty, I'm terrified of breaking it, so swap the battery once a day (as per drain rate).

If you're installing stuff, how does one get the application menu to refresh, without doing a reboot? "killall hildon-desktop"?

Even when I was using a charger, I usually forgot or accidentally ran
out of charge at least once a week, so (IMHO) anything 10+ days is good going!

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
@demolition, have you filed down your micro USB connectors on your charger and PC connection? If you file them down they'll be a lot less likely to rip out the USB port.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xagoln For This Useful Post: