Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
Palm just announced a new device and OS at CES. They seem to be using the latest generation of OMAP chips and at least the engadget editors were impressed.

It's nice to see Palm back in the game after all these years.

Also here is the Sprint site for the phone.

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
just saw the engadget entries - looks sweet, makes me wanna buy a palm product again.

Originally Posted by nikolajhendel View Post
just saw the engadget entries - looks sweet, makes me wanna buy a palm product again.
same here...if I could get sprint

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
to bad about that evdo. still, maybe they will do a new "livedrive"?

one sweet example of what cortex can pull of to.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
looks ugly

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Wow, so nice. Hopefully the HSDPA version won't be tied to a single operator in Europe...

still not sure what the OS is all about. It says SDK and third party programs will be all in html/css/javascript?????

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
I think it looks sweet, but I wish it had a slightly larger screen...and availability on other networks wouldn't hurt.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Looks better than the iPhone.

Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
still not sure what the OS is all about. It says SDK and third party programs will be all in html/css/javascript?????
All of the first party user land software is in html, css and javascript, too. Done right, it's actually a fine idea for this type of device. First of all, CSS and HTML are completely passive presentation systems, leaving all of the magic for the interpreter to implement. This means that the OS gets lots of control and everything is smoothly integrated.

Also, Palm clearly wants every web developer ever on the PalmOS bandwaggon. With this, they can build native software for the platform that integrates with their own web services while still wearing the web developer hat. It's a smart choice, really. The reason the iPhone sucks at it is because Apple's idea of third party software was a web site viewed inside the Safari browser, kind of third class citizens versus software by the mighty apple. The issue was not that web sites are built with the HTML, CSS and Javascript languages.

I'm really looking forward to the exact details on their Linux software stack. I'm sure they must be using a lot of common Linux platform stuff, so it'll be fun to learn what. The more able contributors the better!
The instant messaging stuff sounds like it has a Telepathy back end, and if it is that'll really bring a smile to my face.

Last edited by Picklesworth; 2009-01-09 at 07:52.