Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by MenoRikey View Post
Also, when I try to finger scroll, if I'm not over a blank area on the webpage, it tries to highlight content. If I try to scroll with the scrollbar, it's jerky and way too fast.
If you want the behaviour you expected, then you need an iPhone or iPod touch. Of course, it doesn't have the screen size of a N8x0, but it compensate the smaller screen with a flawlessy user interface.
With my N810 most of the time I used a stylus because I can't smear the browser content just with my finger. This was finally the complete showstopper and doesn't have much to do if the cpu is slow or a 4ghz quadcore, because it's a UI failure. Using a stylus (=using both hands) only to view(!) content is so 90s on this small device.

You need the best from two different devices. Maybe _your_ Internet Tablet doesn't exist for now. But there are CES and MacWorld @jan'09...

Originally Posted by slha89 View Post
If you want the behaviour you expected, then you need an iPhone or iPod touch. Of course, it doesn't have the screen size of a N8x0, but it compensate the smaller screen with a flawlessy user interface.
With my N810 most of the time I used a stylus because I can't smear the browser content just with my finger. This was finally the complete showstopper and doesn't have much to do if the cpu is slow or a 4ghz quadcore, because it's a UI failure. Using a stylus (=using both hands) only to view(!) content is so 90s on this small device.

You need the best from two different devices. Maybe _your_ Internet Tablet doesn't exist for now. But there are CES and MacWorld @jan'09...
The UI on the iphone is relatively smooth but it still has a crappy low res screen, no flash, and requires you to zoom a lot. The n810 displays pages perfectly without having to zoom.

I just received my N810, so maybe I need to do some tweaking, but viewing and surfing websites is a painful experience, so far. Web sites take forever to load and it's not my connection since I use the same wireless connection for my laptop and it's fine. The nokia connects to the sites quickly, it just takes a long time to load everything.

I understand a lot of websites aren't made for small machines/screens, but then again Nokia shouldn't be advertising this thing as an INTERNET tablet. I didn't buy the thing to look at mobile versions of websites, if I wanted that I would stick with my Dell Axim. I won't even get into how bad it plays embedded videos.

Also, when I try to finger scroll, if I'm not over a blank area on the webpage, it tries to highlight content. If I try to scroll with the scrollbar, it's jerky and way too fast.

I've only been using it for a couple days, so maybe there's something I'm missing or need to tweak, but out-of-the-block I'm disappointed with the "internet" experience.
Welcome to the Internet Tablets, my friend. With the CPU and the amount of RAM it has installed you won't get smooth browsing in modern websites fully loaded with embeded programs and resource intensive javascript or ajax code.

I'm sorry but that's the true story of these little devices.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Munising, MI
MenoRikey, I share your confusion and disappointment. While the Nokia IT's are hands down better than a smartphone for internet, the device is not anything like I expected. My experience wirh Nokia has been that they build great hardware antd nm and put cumbersome inefficient and counterintuitive software on it. This is treue of both phones and their NIT's. Heck, the browser is based on firefix 3 ALPHA! At least it was as of June 2008. Does anyone know if Nokia has bothered to update microb to production code yet?? Yes the NIT's fail compared todothe marketing, and the hype. But, there are no better alternatives... yet. I'll use my N800 untill someone developes a reasonable device. I suspect there are lots of us uning the NIT's not because they are great, but because they suck the least.

Don't think I saw this recommendation:

"You might have 'Fit width to view' checked."

Last edited by dkwatts; 2008-12-31 at 04:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to dkwatts For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by superbondbond View Post
it sounds like MenoRikey is equating the word "Internet" with the web browser. In reality web browsing is only a subset of the total internet experience that was mentioned earlier. Don't forget about media, e-mail, instant messaging, VOIP, etc. These are also part of the "Internet."
That's BS, everyone knows the web is what a majority of the people use the Internet for.

I have started to use the stylus more and I installed the Ad Blocker extension, which helps out immensely. I've tempered my expectations of the so-called "Internet" tablet.

I do agree with WorkingOnWise, in that the N810 is probably the best of the worst.

I should have known when they stuck a camera, bluetooth, temperature sensor and GPS in it, that the web experience would suffer. Usually devices that try to do too much, don't do anything great.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
That's BS, everyone knows the web is what a majority of the people use the Internet for.

I have started to use the stylus more and I installed the Ad Blocker extension, which helps out immensely. I've tempered my expectations of the so-called "Internet" tablet.

I do agree with WorkingOnWise, in that the N810 is probably the best of the worst.

I should have known when they stuck a camera, bluetooth, temperature sensor and GPS in it, that the web experience would suffer. Usually devices that try to do too much, don't do anything great.
I found the ad blocker noticably degraded the performance of the browser. "Fit width to view" also degrades performance.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
All I'm saying is I would think it's biggest strength is the Internet experience and, to me, it seems Nokia just stuck a web browser on a portable device and called it an "Internet" tablet, without making it efficient. The fact that it has a hard time rendering some of the bigger sites reinforces my point. Then trying to say it's better than smartphones and PDA's at displaying websites further cheapens it because those products primary purpose isn't the Internet experience, like the Nokia.
Looks to me that you're ignoring the points made by others in an effort to keep protesting.

I get frustrated by some of the heavy sites too, but then I consider some qualifiers:

-those sites are typically where the inefficiencies lie. Thanks to huge, cheap harddrive space and the powerful CPUs of desktops and even laptops, web designers have gotten both lazy and extravagant. With reasonable and economical design practices in place, those same sites would load MUCH faster on the tablets-- which do not have the horsepower of the faster devices nor do they claim to.

-the one qualifier you continue to omit in your protests is the most obvious: portable. So instead of "internet tablet" think "portable internet tablet" and maybe you'll see where the rest of us are coming from.

I think you're trying way too hard to argue against the product's usefulness (as many have pointed out, internet is a broader term than you seem willing to acknowledge). But maybe you just need to use the device more to get it. Or, as has been suggested, return it and buy something else. No sense in wasting time griping about it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
It's not BS; it's a different (perhaps, as you suggest, minority) view, and it's arguably more correct. Not that correctness always matters as much as perception...

In my experience, Adblock is an unbearable drag; the most problematic ads, performance-wise, are flash, so I just use flashblock (which doesn't seem to slow things like adblock).

One suggestion: It's quite possible you're experiencing some genuine issues that most of us aren't (fit-width-to-view, the most likely candidate, was already mentioned), and we'd catch that if you had some objective measurements, such as total seconds for a specific page to load.

There's also some tweaks that may help; some about:config/prefs.js tweaks from brontide's thread have been summarized in the itT wiki, and (some of?) the non-browser-specific tweaks have been packaged separately.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
There is NO other device out there that fits in my shirt pocket, and:
1. Great music player
2. Great Book Reader
3. Good DUN with my phone of choice
3. 800x400 resolution or greater
4. Good browser
5. excellent ssh, vnc, rdesktop usage with keyboard

and, and, and

But those are my top uses in order of time spent; the last one being the most important to me.

For my teenage and older children, they prefer the netbooks, even at the same screen resolutions, or just better.

My daughter, and daughter-in-law love the portability and weight (about 2 pounds) and drop them in their purses and take them EVERYWHERE.

There are several great netbooks out there for about the same cost as an N810.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Hargoth; 2008-12-31 at 23:03.