Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
So it has become time to vote for march competition. The subject was challenging and even I myself did not managed to get a picture I would have wanted or which would have in it what I was after with the subject. But it was something for a change.

Subject was:

"People who are looking the picture should not look for the things that are in the light and well seen, but things which are lurking in the shadows, on the edge of light rays, in the twilight zone.

So there may be something presented in good light, but what means is what and how something is captured in the shadows. Good luck to me as well on this one."

Voting time ends in the end of the month.

1. Pentona

Sony Xperia 10 Plus, Sailfish X

2. john_god

”High tec meeting – in the shadows world leaders secret meeting"
Samsung J4+

3. pichlo

Jolla

4. ric9K

N900-Fcam
Edited with Darktable for linux: exposition, black level, white balance, crop to square.

5. robthebold

Sony Xperia X, SFOS, Piggz Advanced Camera

6. Maemish

BlessN900 and both brightness and contrast +11 and image downscaled to 75 to be able to download here. And the header for the image would be "Battle with N9 as sick - is sick".

7. mosen

F(x)tec Pro1, unedited

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Last edited by Maemish; 2020-03-29 at 20:52.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
#4 ric9K

just because he managed to take basically the same photo as last time and yet so different

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
+1

Since i still do not full grasp the topic ( ) my vote to #4 ric9k is based on pure aesthetic!
Is that your usual kind of style you developed over time?
I like it much, minimalistic with strong lines.
Pentona was very close only i think the picture suffered from trying to force the topic.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
My vote goes to 2. john_god. His explanation made this picture to catch the subject: The tech meeting is the focus in the picture but what you should see or be watching is the leaders in the shadows. If there would have been a group of smaller toy characters under the chair in the shadows it would have been perfect. Now one can't see the leaders in the shadows so it is not perfect. Leftovers in this image are popcorns and the playing card which were interesting things in the twilight zone.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 456 times | Joined on Jan 2017 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
If there would have been a group of smaller toy characters under the chair in the shadows it would have been perfect. Now one can't see the leaders in the shadows so it is not perfect.
What do you mean you can´t see the toys under the chair in the shadow? They are there, small but visible: a dinosaur, 3 lego toys, a white tube toy, and 2 cars (wich they use to arrive to the screet meeting ) Did you confuse them with popcorns ?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to john_god For This Useful Post:
Aargh. I should really watch these images with a laptop and full brigthness instead of with a smartphone and nightmode on cutting the blue light (when I use my work phone, haven't yet tried to fix that with N900). So sorry. Have to recheck. If that is true then you really got the point of the subject: obvious target but it is more interesting what is in the shadows. But in your case the obvious target is so interesting so it may rob the attention from those in the shadows.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 456 times | Joined on Jan 2017 @ Portugal
Ok, the left overs in the shadows in the photos for me are:

#1 - The people faces. Each person there has a misterious life we dont know about, maybe
they're sad oy maybe smilling. I like this picture, the light is lighint the station and people soon will move on.

#2 - the small toys under the chair in their screet meeting. The big toys on their computer and mobiles are just doing work stuff, so they are actually bored, one of them has a pineapple for lunch wich will be the high of the day.
The small toys under the chair are having fun just talking about the good times they have when playing with children, and that makes them the masters of the world

#3 - The people again, there's a young couple and a mother with a child. The mother is worried because has to hurry to make lunch and house stuff. The young couple are happy because they are in love and planning on watching a movie for the rest of the afternoon

#4 - The 3 columns of the building in the upper right. Because of the light and shadow this photo reminds me of some allien visiting Earth undercover in the night

#5 - The alloy wheel in the left car and the reflecting image in the car door.

#6 - The nokia Booklet 3G. I never heard of this computer before, also the OS
icons cought my attetion, is that KDE ?

#7 - The 3 pots on the upper right have some plants on them that are growing.

I was undecided between #1 and #7, but my vote goes to mosen #7

Maemish, interesting topic and I hope you are better from your sickness now.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to john_god For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
All the pictures have not catch what I ment with the subject.
What, not even your own?

Originally Posted by john_god View Post
Ok, the left overs in the shadows in the photos for me are:

#3 - The people again, there's a young couple and a mother with a child. The mother is worried because has to hurry to make lunch and house stuff. The young couple are happy because they are in love and planning on watching a movie for the rest of the afternoon
You got it! Spot on!
I tried to throw you off with my blurb but you, john_god, are not so easily distracted. You are... indistractable.

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
For a hint what to look for, here it is seconds after, sitting on the fence
It was quite difficult, but I found it! It's sitting on the fence!
(Seriously, though, I found it. In the cage. A good catch!)

And my vote goes to... #7 mosen!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Yes, back to work. Got easier on saturday and on sunday able to make spriints and run as fast as zi can with the dog without anym problems. Today with bike 10km to work withiout problems. I have though found it very hard to be able to do anything at work. Alone.

The Nokia Booklet 3G is awesome and again so stupid from Nokia not to continue and make the second a bit better. This just has the GMA500 graphic card so it would need trickery to get videos working. There were guides for like ubuntu 12 versions or something with smplayer + mplayer + vaapi but after I upgraded I lost it (not knowing how to downgrade the right packages or any package). But I use this because this is really solid, light, small, with good battery capacity and the best keyboard for writing. I usually use it only for writing which I do quite a lot. I have Ubuntu Mate on it at the moment. Have also had Lubuntu but this is good for me to what I need. I almost bought another one which is white (mine is brushed aluminium). These go normally with 30€.

I thought that after this competition if people have taken pictures from which they have afterwards noticed that in the background is actually something very interesting I would like to see. Maybe this was not a good subject for a competition 'cause it is best happen accidentally to catch something on the background. I always like to check the background of photos people share.

My friend left to Asia alone some years ago. Wanted to be at peace somewhere no one knows. Posted me a picture from inside his bungalow. Somewhere in the middle of jungle but a luxury place. I spotted an advertisement brochure with logo on the table in the picture. Googled and found a match to the logo. Compared the advertisement inside images of bungalows to he one my friend had posted of his. One hour after he posted the picture I sent him a flight and bungalow booking plan with costs and that I could be there in 24 hours.

Last edited by Maemish; 2020-03-30 at 08:55.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera, camera phone, competition, march, phone, year 2020