hmm... after installing the latest kernel with bfq I got into an reboot loop. guess i have to reflash it.

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Russia, Moscow
Originally Posted by Tigerite View Post
Could people please test out the BFQ scheduler (echo bfq > /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/scheduler) and let me know of any kernel crashes?
I have crashes immediately after turning on bfq, do I need to disable cgroups before that?

Well I reflashed the kernel (I think I just forgot to install the flasher this time hence the reboot loop) so it's working fine now. BFQ is also enabled, so far no crashes but I guess I'll have to test more.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
Originally Posted by Bad_Habit View Post
I have crashes immediately after turning on bfq, do I need to disable cgroups before that?
Hmm, no, you don't need to disable cgroups. In fact, they should be enabled (I would imagine BFQ would crash without them). Could you run

Code:
strings /dev/mtd2ro > /home/user/MyDocs/log.txt
.. and attach the file it generates?

Hmm, no, you don't need to disable cgroups. In fact, they should be enabled (I would imagine BFQ would crash without them). Could you run

Code:
strings /dev/mtd2ro > /home/user/MyDocs/log.txt
.. and attach the file it generates?
Look at [13374.992126], here I turned on bfq for eMMC, switched to desktop and opened the browser. The crash happened trying to read bookmarks file, I guess.
Attached Files
File Type: gz log.tar.gz (30.5 KB, 70 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to Bad_Habit For This Useful Post:
Hmm, there are a whole lot of the null reference errors there, all caused by BFQ. Not good. Could you check that /syspart is being mounted correctly, and that bfq.ioprio, bfq.ioprio_class and bfq.weight are all present under that directory (when BFQ is the default scheduler, of course)? You could set it just for mmcblk1, if you've an external SD.. I am guessing that /usr/lib/libohm_cgroups.so is present and loaded?

Hmm, there are a whole lot of the null reference errors there, all caused by BFQ. Not good. Could you check that /syspart is being mounted correctly, and that bfq.ioprio, bfq.ioprio_class and bfq.weight are all present under that directory (when BFQ is the default scheduler, of course)? You could set it just for mmcblk1, if you've an external SD.. I am guessing that /usr/lib/libohm_cgroups.so is present and loaded?
/usr/lib/ohm/libohm_cgroups.so is present, how can I check if it's really loaded? I guess it is, /proc/mounts contains

Code:
cgroup /syspart cgroup rw,bfqio,freezer,memory 0 0
/syspart contains

Code:
/syspart/bfqio.ioprio: 0
/syspart/bfqio.ioprio_class: 2
/syspart/bfqio.weight: 10
setting bfq on mmcblk1 doesn't change anything in /syspart

Yep, it seems to definitely be loaded. Did you have bfq as the default scheduler for mmcblk0, if so then setting it on mmcblk1 wouldn't change anything in /syspart.. it's also possible that bfqio is enabled regardless of whether bfq is or not, and just sits idle until called upon. Ok, could you please try one of these (depending on your setup - the modules should be unchanged), I have disabled the "queue small requests" part of BFQ v2 r1 and have been running it happily on my device for a full day without any crashes..

Multiboot deb
Standard deb (use with flasher)
U-Boot image

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tigerite For This Useful Post:
Yep, it seems to definitely be loaded. Did you have bfq as the default scheduler for mmcblk0, if so then setting it on mmcblk1 wouldn't change anything in /syspart.. it's also possible that bfqio is enabled regardless of whether bfq is or not, and just sits idle until called upon. Ok, could you please try one of these (depending on your setup - the modules should be unchanged), I have disabled the "queue small requests" part of BFQ v2 r1 and have been running it happily on my device for a full day without any crashes..

Multiboot deb
Standard deb (use with flasher)
U-Boot image

Hmm I'm still getting crashes immediately after activating bfq.

Do you have any applications etc running when you change to the BFQ scheduler? I activate it in an /etc/event.d script, but it would probably be fine to do so after reboot from X-term - not so sure if you've had the system running for several hours/days beforehand, though.