Active Topics

Hi there tablet freaks,

I've been looking for a internettablet for a while but i thought the 770 and the 800 were to big. I also thought (like a lot of friends me) what's the use without gsm function. But the N810 with skype and formfactor seems like the right fit for me so hopefully i will be a internet tablet guy soon ;-)

I live in the netherlands and i'm planning to import one from the usa. Are there any downsides which i will encounter, maybe different qwerty layout ? voltage? gps maps?

Greetings M.

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Southampton, UK
Why do you plan on importing?

... could it perhaps have something to do with the fact that its twice as expensive in Europe ? I'm planning to order one from the US as well and thats the main reason for me.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Qwerty printed layout is different, but in the software you can enable any of the HW keyboard layouts. I'm using my english printings with Scandinavian layout. Just takes a bit of learning to find the different keys then. Maps application also - as far as I'm aware - has the option to download all the maps with all the versions.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
I bough the n800 from the usa (ebay) for the same reason. I was glad to discover that, while the charger has a usa plug (but adapters are easy to find and usually very cheap), it accepts 230V, so I didn't have to buy an european charger.

i have one too, a friend of mine on a business trip in the US got it for me, I live in Romania and the N800 is not available here, you can only find here the 770 for twice the price of the N800 in the US

to answer your question, you can get the n800 from the US with no problems, everything will work out of the box except for the charger for witch you have to get an adapter (i paid 1 euro for mine). Also every new nokia mobile phone charger works

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
And I think it should come with a one year worldwide warranty included, no matter where you've bought it.

Note that some new Nokia mobile phone chargers deliver only half the amount of current compared to the N800 charger (which is rated to 890mA). They'll work ok, but it takes much longer to charge. The rate is printed on the charger. The smaller-capacity ones are physically smaller and more symmetric looking than the assymetric N800 charger, in case you go shopping for one. Just so you're aware of that.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
I can confirm that.. I have a smaller charger (was boxed along a Nokia BT headset) and it states 350mA and charges slower than the N800 one.
I didn't think about this... thanks!

Wow alot of active forum members here..nice

I want to import the N810 because it saves me about € 150 / $ 215

The dollar is so weak at the moment so this way the device will suit my wallet.

Thanks for al the input i'm still worried about the maps application, will you only get US maps? can you buy extra maps?